You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-28 12:01:24

beyecixramd

10 foot user interface remote options for Linux

Hi people!

I already posted a topic asking how could i share my music, videos, etc, from my Arch PC to my Arch HTPC.

Now I'd like to hear suggestions about remotes, pros and cons, I've already considered these options:

1 - Buy an IR receiver and a standard remote will do the job (I already got a multifunction remote (which can control up to three devices and I only got a single device), but I'm afraid nowadays there aren't many USB receivers compatible with Linux and most importantly, they must be cheap, a PCI card is not an option since my PC has a half-sized case)

2 - Get a bluetooth USB adapter and control it using my cellphone (probably not very adequate, and it would quickly drain the cellphone's battery)

3 - Get a USB bluetooth adapter, build a Wii USB sensor bar, and buy a WiiMote (more expensive than other options)

I think the better suited option here is the first one, if only someone could recommend me a good IR receiver for Linux, I'd be very thankful)

Anyone has got more ideas? Or suggestions for reducing costs or improving usability about my options?

Thanks everyone!

#2 2010-11-28 15:42:03

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: 10 foot user interface remote options for Linux

Options 1 sounds the best. You could also just get one of those logitech wireless mice and rebind some of its extra buttons.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2010-11-28 17:41:48

GogglesGuy
Website

I have one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … -_-Product

Which works fine with Linux.

Now I also don't use the remote a lot, since I'm running just a regular desktop on my htpc and control the pc through a keyboard with embedded trackpad:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6823111038

(they have both wired and wireless versions of these. I got the wired one with an usb extension cable)

(As a matter of fact, I'm posting this from my htpc tongue )

Last edited by GogglesGuy (2010-11-28 17:45:14)

#4 2010-11-28 17:56:10

toad
Website

Thanks for the info, GogglesGuy. Unfortunately that particular model is available only in the USA tongue

What does lsusb say? Maybe I can find one that way...

never trust a toad...
::Grateful ArchDonor::
::Grateful Wikipedia Donor::

#5 2010-11-28 18:02:44

GogglesGuy
Website

toad wrote:

Thanks for the info, GogglesGuy. Unfortunately that particular model is available only in the USA tongue

What does lsusb say? Maybe I can find one that way...

Not sure how useful it is..

Bus 005 Device 002: ID 1784:0008 TopSeed Technology Corp. eHome Infrared Transceiver

Another option is to move the USA... that's what I did... tongue

#6 2010-11-28 18:16:37

Eratosthenes

I use one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6823218010

with mythtv (on fedora). I actually use it more than the IR remote.

#7 2010-11-28 20:03:26

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

Instead of buying a usb ir receiver you can also buy a usb to serial converter and make your own ir receiver, that's more work and I don't know how well it will work but I guess it's easier to find a usb to serial adapter that works on linux than a direct usb ir receiver.

I have a home made serial ir receiver and a usb to serial converter, the converter works just fine on linux but I've never tried to use both (never used the ir receiver much).

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

Board footer