You are not logged in.
Hi, I have recently built a LinuxFromScratch system.
When I finished, I looked at installing package managers, and eventually settled on pacman.
Everything built OK, updated with -Syu fine.
However when I go to install a package with pacman -S package, it tries to download all the necessary packages like linux-api-headers, glibc, bash, etc.
All the basic system packages I have already installed...
The install then fails because these packages already exist.
linux-api-headers: /usr/include/asm-generic/auxvec.h exists in filesystemthere is around 6000 lines of that.
Is there any way I can make pacman recognise these packages as installed?
Last edited by Wigguno (2010-11-29 02:51:11)
Offline
You could create dummy packages for them. The vast majority of us do not use such a system, of course
. Good luck with your learning experience.
Hint: dummy packages fool pacman but you'd have to keep track of things like versions etc yourself. Then again, running LFS you already know that.
Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.
Offline
You could create dummy packages for them. The vast majority of us do not use such a system, of course
. Good luck with your learning experience.
Hint: dummy packages fool pacman but you'd have to keep track of things like versions etc yourself. Then again, running LFS you already know that.
Okay, thanks for the hint, I'll do some more googling and look at making some dummy packages
Offline
I think you are doing it wrong.... ![]()
If you want to run LFS using pacman, you need to create the relevant packages yourself and then install them using pacman. The first time will require you to "force" the installation of your packages over the LFS ones unless you prepare the package management back when you first enter your LFS chroot. It can be done but is not entirely simple.
What you appear to be doing is grabbing packages from the Arch repos to install on your LFS system. That is a really, really bad idea. You either create your own (LFS) packages or install Arch, Mixing is bad...
I highly recommend the "symlink" style package management system for LFS. There are also scripts floating around that help you manage the symlinks so you can have the feeling of a package manager without really having one. But I think you will soon find that maintaining a LFS system is not all it is cracked up to be and LFS is really just a learning tool.
As an aside, Arch started as a LFS system and we tend to follow the fairly simple base setup that is used there.
Offline
Okay thanks.
I think I have learnt a lot from LFS, but I'll just install Arch ![]()
Offline