You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-29 09:17:16

blackbear

Screen capture : problems with audio quality & volume

Hi all ,
I'm quite new with Arch (I installed it 1 week ago) but I'm a quite veteran debian user (since 10 years)...
I'd like to produce screencast for my students , so I 've made some tests with xvidcap & recordmydesktop, they were fine
I 've decided to add sound to these first demos and that 's here that difficulties come...
My laptop is a Sony VAIO VPC Z1 (quad core i7 , 8Gb of RAM , 500 gb harddisk, with an hybrid graphics card i915/Nvidia M 330)
Soundcard is well detected :

\ └─(\ 1:\ 10:03\ :%)─\ ─\  lspci|grep -i audio                                                            ──\ (lun.,nov.29)─┘
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset High Definition Audio (rev 05)
01:00.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)

they are seen in the cards file:
\ └─(\ \ 10:10\ :%)─\ ─\  cat /proc/asound/cards                                                           ──\ (lun.,nov.29)─┘
0 [Intel          ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
                      HDA Intel at 0xd7820000 irq 45
1 [NVidia         ]: HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
                      HDA NVidia at 0xd1000000 irq 16

My problems are :
- it seems that my alsamixer are lost each time (preferences for each channel)
- I don't know what channel to use while recording because I've got :
record
record1
record2
digital
micro
micro boost

ouch...
I 've tried to make some sound  capture with a Plantronics (earphones + micro ) using my front connectors (2 jack )
Results are very confusing:
- with audacity , sound is quite good
- with recordmydesktop, noise leveel is very high, I can't figure out how to filter the signal
- with xvidcap ,the man page is not very informative for options to capture sound

So your feedbacks are welcome...
It's my first attempt to do multimedia with Linux (I use it for programming Java/C++ and for documents editing in LateX)

Thanks
jerome

Board footer