You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-25 01:08:27

JulianNymark
Website

Network issue on netbook

So I'm trying the Net install of arch on my netbook (acer aspire 751h). Following the beginner's guide as well as the wireless setup guide to no success sad.

Problem:
I can connect to my router, and get a working ip address using "dhcpcd wlan0". so pinging router works fine, but pinging any website beyond the router does not.
the router has a wep password on it, but i thoroughly made sure that the problem is not there. (unless "# iwconfig wlan0 essid "linksys" key 0241baf34c" is not the way to do it)
(everything that involves the internet returns : "no route to host", so I'm quite positive it is the network that needs fixing)

some info:
nic (card) = Acer InviLink 802.11b/g (i've heard some cards are just not supported in linux sad, but this very card has worked with ubuntu so I'm assuming its something I've just overlooking)
driver used = r8169 Gigabit Ethernet driver 2.3LK-NAPI

(other pc's can use the network just fine)

Sadly I'm used to ubuntu taking care of things like these, but i guess that means I'm posting in the right section (feel I'm ready to take the jump from ubuntu --> arch)

will go to bed now, so will not respond before at least 8 hours smile

thanks in advance

-Julian

When there is nothing left to do. Do nothing.

#2 2010-11-25 02:03:16

nixpunk

Re: Network issue on netbook

Are you running iptables (firewall)?  Also, do you have the nameserver (DNS) properly configured in /etc/resolv.conf?  That's a few things to check off the top of my head.

#3 2010-11-25 03:09:49

mordoc

Julian,

That definitely sounds like at dns issue, have you tried something like the following:

ping -c www.google.com

It could be that the router is not giving you dns entries as it should.

#4 2010-11-25 20:45:27

JulianNymark
Website

Ok. so before going to bed i quit the installation (Not used to sleeping to the sound of a fan yet  tongue)

When trying again today, i realized my flash drive was completely bust (couldn't format, and ubuntu wouldn't detect it)

(maybe I did something really bad while trying to partition manually (I probably tried writing to it D:, and it seems permanently broken))

Either way, i decided to try the arch net install with a CD, and everything seems to work smoothly, managed to get through the entire aif interactive mode list without much trouble.
(at least the CD didn't show up on the partitioning list, so i couldn't mess it up)

Another problem could be that my internet seems to be very indecisive about when to work sad, all my Linux installs seem to have problems with it, and mainly that problem is getting more than just Google searches to work (all other sites seem to fail)
I'm not sure if any of you are familiar with this problem, but it seems like others have encountered it too. Though i am still just as lost on figuring out how to fix it.

Well, thanks for the help so far smile I know the problem above is more of a network problem and not really related to arch Linux, so I won't expect any help for that, and although it's a problem it does occasionally work sometimes so its not a major problem. (and in worst case there's windows )

Thanks again, and i hope to be able to post my problems on this forum again sometime smile

-Julian

When there is nothing left to do. Do nothing.

#5 2010-11-29 21:36:12

yasar11732

I am new to arch linux and I am also having some connection problems.
my rc.conf:
HOSTNAME="yasar"
eth0="dhcp"
INTERFACES=(eth0)
gateway="default gw 139.179.207.129"
ROUTES=(gateway)

my hosts:
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost yasar

when I manullay restart dhcpcd I can see that I am getting and ip adress, howeverü, I cant ping anything else than my gateway.
when I try to ping an adress it says unknown host, when I type in IP it says network unreachable.

I am on the university network by the way, if it makes any difference.

can someone help me with this?

Edit: my resolv.conf as it generated automatically is:
domain dorm.bilkent.edu.tr
nameserver 139.179.0.124
nameserver 139.179.30.24

values are as they should be. Everything looks fine except that I cant ping

Last edited by yasar11732 (2010-11-29 21:43:07)

Yo Dawg, I heard you likes patches, so I have created a patch for your patch, so you can patch your patches before you patch.

#6 2010-11-29 22:22:11

skunktrader

Did you try using ROUTES=(!gateway) instead

#7 2010-11-29 22:32:14

yasar11732

Yes, that also didnt work...

Edit : I think I cant figure this out, I will install fedora until I am more experienced with all of these.

Last edited by yasar11732 (2010-11-29 23:29:12)

Yo Dawg, I heard you likes patches, so I have created a patch for your patch, so you can patch your patches before you patch.

Board footer