You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-29 14:00:27

nin1987

Problems with the wifi

Hi, I have some problems with the connection to the wifi. I use a USB wifi pen from Belkin that uses the zd1211-firmware. I don't remember now the model but I think it isn't important because my wlan0 interface is recognized perfectly, I installed properly the firmware (although I think that it was installed yet) and in fact, i can connect to internet manually.

Always I'm connected to the same wifi connection then I don't need special configurations to laptops, but I want to use dhcp. Then, in /etc/rc.conf I added wlan0="dhcp", wlan_wlan0="wlan0 essid ... key s:..." and, of course, I added wlan0 to the list of interfaces.

The problem is that when I start the computer the connection fails and to connect I must do manually the next:
ifconfig wlan0 up
iwconfig wlan0 essid.... (the same thing I put on /etc/rc.conf)
dhcpcd wlan0

On one hand, I would like that internet works automatically (provisionally I add the three lines to rc.local)
On the other hand, I want that I can choice the internet connection graphically from the desktop environment (kde, in my case), since now it doesn't shows nothing about internet connection, it simply works because my trick on rc.local, and I can't choice another wifi connection if I would.

Thank you for your help.

#2 2010-11-29 14:29:50

nomorewindows

Re: Problems with the wifi

Looks like you could use the wicd package.  It fully supports WEP/WPA and all the others.  It is a service in /etc/rc.conf, as well as a program to select and set the parameters and keys.

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#3 2010-11-29 16:27:30

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Wireless is not meant to be configured in rc.conf (which is documented in rc.conf itself if you have kept it up to date).

If you have just one network connection, install netcfg, it has plenty of sample configurations, among which one for WEP.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#4 2010-11-30 11:18:13

nin1987

Ok, thank you both, I will try it.

Board footer