You are not logged in.

#1 2005-05-05 00:12:35

BobL

Probably a stupid Newb question....chkconfig

Hi all,

This is a very nice distro, especially if you wanted to learn linux, not just use it with a pretty GUI, and it has met ( sometimes exceeded ) my expectations.
The searching the forums, using google extensively, the wiki have made the experience most worthwhile.  The first distro was mandrake, which lasted about 1 month because I could not learn anything with it.  Anyway on to the question at hand.   

What is the Arch linux equivalent of chkconfig?  Or does one have to download the package itself via pacman?

The reason I ask is that I would like to turn off all unneeded services ( I am a bit of a security hound, at least with a windows box ).   The Linux box will just be a workstation for myself, to do email, web surfing, maybe some online buying and eventually development.   No remote access to the machine is needed for myself ( as it is off, when I am not using it ).

Hopefully, I phrased the question correctly!   big_smile

Thanks,

BobL

#2 2005-05-05 00:14:59

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Re: Probably a stupid Newb question....chkconfig

services are loaded from the DAEMONS array in /etc/rc.conf
The name i n the array is used to perform
/etc/rc.d/{name} start

Just look at the array in the file to see what is started at boot.

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#3 2005-05-05 00:36:19

BobL

LOL,

Well now, don't I feel stupid....sigh.   Thank you Cactus.

#4 2005-05-05 04:09:20

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

and to answer the chkconfig question:
installing packages via pacman is the equivalent (pacman -S some_package) - chkconfig is used to wrap "make" calls... PKGBUILD files do something similar... check the wiki for some writeups on ABS (Arch Build System)

#5 2005-05-05 13:45:57

BobL

Thanks for the follow up Phrakture.   However, I did not quite follow when you said that chkconfig is a wrapper for make calls.   I thought it merely listed running services.   I did check on the make command and I cannot find how chkconfig even relates to what you mentioned.   Then again the article was mentioned in the context of a RedHat article.  So perhaps I am switching terms between different distrubutions....probably not a good idea.  smile

I do know what "wrapping" is...with the programming background I have, I just didn't follow your context.

#6 2005-05-05 15:13:41

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

BobL wrote:

Thanks for the follow up Phrakture.   However, I did not quite follow when you said that chkconfig is a wrapper for make calls.   I thought it merely listed running services.   I did check on the make command and I cannot find how chkconfig even relates to what you mentioned.   Then again the article was mentioned in the context of a RedHat article.  So perhaps I am switching terms between different distrubutions....probably not a good idea.  smile

I do know what "wrapping" is...with the programming background I have, I just didn't follow your context.

oh, crap - I mixed it up with checkinstall... my fault  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:

#7 2005-05-06 01:04:15

BobL

Ah,

Well that clears that up, cool.  Again, thanks all for the help, and for tolerance with the silly newbie questions!

BobL

Board footer