You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-30 02:38:39

stv

[SOLVED] Sudden Video Issues - Xorg & SLim

I decided to install Arch on my 3rd machine, this time a Samsung NC10 that I've turned into a desktop. I've installed very little on the NC10 and all was going well for weeks...

I installed Xorg, SLim, and Openbox and all was working fine until yesterday. Now instead of the SLim login screen being shown after boot, I now see some major video distortion ('squiggly' lines or various colors) on the built-in NC10 monitor (the attached external monitor shows a blank screen). There are no display issues when the grub menu is displayed and during boot time. It only seems to be when runlevel 5 kicks in that I have this issue.

When I try and switch runlevels via Ctrl + Alt + F1 thru F6 from the bad screen, the screen flickers and I can quickly make out the correct Slim login graphics, before being presented with just a blank screen, with no prompts at all.

I entered runlevel 1 after editing the grub menu and was able to get a prompt and reinstall both Xorg and Slim, but these steps did not solve the issue.

I'm really stumped here. Can anyone offer some suggestions on where I should be looking in order to fix this issue? Is this an Xorg issue? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by stv (2010-12-01 02:35:43)

#2 2010-11-30 05:55:03

ubermensch00

Re: [SOLVED] Sudden Video Issues - Xorg & SLim

Did you install your graphics drivers? Remember that with Arch you need to install ALL packages, including drivers on your own.

#3 2010-12-01 02:33:13

stv

Re: [SOLVED] Sudden Video Issues - Xorg & SLim

Looking thru my notes, it seems I did not install the Intel graphics driver. Excellent work, ubermensch00. An easy one that I should have figured out.

The resolution is different after installing the driver, but I can work in runlevel 5 again. I'll work on tweaking the resolution via Xorg config.

Strange that the graphics were working for awhile without the driver.

Thanks again.

Last edited by stv (2010-12-01 02:34:58)

Board footer