You are not logged in.

#1 2005-05-04 21:45:56

fdrebin

configure make make install

if there's something you can't get through pacman you can download the sources and compile it by youself.
so the common installation procedure is to change in the according directory then run
./configure
make
and (as root) make install, right ?
so my question is what do these three comamnds actually do?
where is the program installed to?
how to uninstall something completly that was installed like this?

and
i tried this with a few things like uae etc
for everything ./compile went fine (i think you should't bother about few tests answered with no...) but when it comes to make beside thousands of warings make exits with le't say error 2.
what did i do wrong here ?

#2 2005-05-04 21:53:54

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Re: configure make make install

./configure runs autoconf. http://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/
Autoconf allows for detection of system build environment.

make executes the makefile that autoconf spits out. A makefile is a collection of commands that build the program. It has build dependecny checking, so you can say build foo.c only when bar.c has been built already. It also only rebuilds things that are changed from the last build. Hence, you sometimes need to run make clean (makefile with the clean target) to remove compiled files so everything gets rebuilt.

make install just runs the install target in the makefile.

EDIT: A decent summary-- http://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/ma … toconf.pdf

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#3 2005-05-04 22:44:33

(mez)

where is the program installed to?

Often /usr/local by default, but there's no automatic location. The real answer is 'wherever the author decides it should go'. If you do

./configure --help | less

you'll usually see a 'prefix' option you can modify if you want it in a specific place.

how to uninstall something completly that was installed like this?

If the author didn't provide a 'make uninstall' or similar routine, there's no easy way without using an external app like checkinstall (though this won't work in Arch). Consider making a PKGBUILD before you install a package from source - it really isn't that difficult.

#4 2005-05-04 23:26:57

vladtepes

Greetings,

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … highlight=
i already asked that ;-)

[img]http://www.ccc.de/campaigns/music/boykott1.gif[/img]

#5 2005-05-05 08:53:04

fdrebin

and what about is so many programs (like uae)  not compiling (make returns an error) - is it my fault or are there errors in the sources?

#6 2005-05-05 10:48:12

FUBAR
Website

Depends on the error: if ./configure gives you an error, it's usually a dependency problem. If make gives you an error, you should read it and try to figure it out yourself (or post it here).

You should read the Wiki on ABS en PKGBUILD. Those are tools for pacman to create packages that aren't available in any of the repo's. Instead of running "./configure && make && make install", you should make a PKGBUILD for the program you want to install and have pacman handle things: this way it's a lot easier to maintain installed programs. And it's very easy!

A bus station is where a bus stops.
A train station is where a train stops.
On my desk I have a workstation.

#7 2005-05-05 12:53:20

fdrebin

but if make fails to compile the program i think pacman won't manage it too....

#8 2005-05-05 13:46:06

(mez)

This is true. Post some of the error messages you're getting. Have you checked the dependencies of the packages you're trying to build? Look for files called INSTALL and README; these should mention any specific requirements.

Board footer