You are not logged in.

#1 2005-05-05 15:45:11

Carbono

xterm command stopped working after installing fluxbox-devel

Hi big_smile you happy Archers!

I have been using fluxbox as my WM for about 2 weeks. It was installed using pacman and I had no problems with it. I commented out the line : exec fluxbox , in /home/droletg/.xinitrc so I can start fluxbox with the startx command. I could also start another WM (the green one that commes with xorg, I don't know it's name?)  using the xterm command either as root or droletg.

Now this morning I wanted to have  fluxbox-devel installed so I could have a nicer desktop environment. I downloaded it and did all the necessary stuff:

bunzip fluxbox-0.9.12.tar 
tar -xvf fluxbox-0.9.12.tar
cd /usr/share/fluxbox-0.9.12
./configure
make
(as root) make install

Then I rebooted and in the console, in order to remove my first fluxbox installation,  I did:

pacman -Rd fluxbox 

Then I commented the exec fluxbox line in /home/droletg/.xinitrc and tried to launch firefox with the command xinit -e firefox, and x server failed to launch.

I also tried commands such as xterm, as root or as droletg (I got failures to launch the green WM) or fluxbox or startfluxbox but it did not work although these two last commands are in /usr/local/bin.

So I re-installed fluxbox from pacman and re-commented out the fluxbox line in my /home/droletg/.xinitrc. Now the only way I can start fluxbox is with startx. If I do xterm as root, from the console, it do not start the green VM as it did before. I don't know what I did wrong and I want to use fluxbox-devel and not fluxbox.

Does any people with experience with fluxbox-devel and xterm could help me?

Thanks, Gui

P.S. Maybe my system lacks some dependencies needed by fluxbox-devel??

#2 2005-05-05 15:52:46

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Re: xterm command stopped working after installing fluxbox-devel

there is a fluxbox-devel package...

unstable/fluxbox-devel 0.9.11-1
    A lightweight and highly-configurable window manager (DEVEL VERSION).
dibble/fluxbox-svn 20050504-1
    Fluxbox-svn is the bleeding edge version of a lightweight yet customizable
    windowmanager for X. This will checkout and package the latest SVN version.

try one of those (dibble's repo is in his signature)

#3 2005-05-05 17:29:11

Carbono

Thanks Phrakture.

2 Questions:

1-Do I need to remove fluxbox before I install fluxbox-devel, in order to start fluxbox-devel with startx?

2-There is a .xinitrc under /root. It has a single line: fluxbox. Is this xinitrc used by root?

Thanks

#4 2005-05-05 17:31:27

ozar

Also, fluxbox-devel  0.9.12-3 is available in the "unstable" Arch repository.  I've been using it for a while now with no problems.  I run aterm so can't speak for xterm.

oz

#5 2005-05-05 18:07:19

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Carbono wrote:

1-Do I need to remove fluxbox before I install fluxbox-devel, in order to start fluxbox-devel with startx?

If you need to remove fluxbox, pacman will handle it - it will tell you that in order to install the devel version, it will remove the original fluxbox.  Just let pacman handle the installation.

Carbono wrote:

2-There is a .xinitrc under /root. It has a single line: fluxbox. Is this xinitrc used by root?

.xinitrc is used by startx.  Whichever user runs "startx", that is the .xinitrc file it will use.  If root runs startx, it uses /root/.xinitrc, if bob runs startx, it uses /home/bob/.xinitrc.
I would suggest against running X as root - it's bad practice.

#6 2005-05-05 18:26:15

Carbono

Thanks for clarifying things.

About the xtem problem: When I am in fluxbox using xterm and issuing the command xterm, either as root or user, it starts a new xterm window so everything is fine.

When in console mode (no WM), issuing the command xterm give me
the following error messages:

(as root)#xterm

(as droletg)$xterm

#7 2005-05-05 18:33:00

Carbono

Sorry for the post I submitted instead of previewed...:oops:

About the xtem problem: When I am in fluxbox using xterm and issuing the command xterm, either as root or user, it starts a new xterm window so everything is fine.

When in console mode (no WM), issuing the command xterm give me
the following error messages:

(as root)#xterm
Warning: This program is an suid-root or is beign run by the root user. The full text of the error or warning massage cannot be safely formatted in this environment... 
....xterm Xterror: Can't open display: %s

(as droletg)$xterm
xterm Xterror: Can't open display: 

As I mentionned before, this morning before I tried to install fluxbox-devel these commands would start the "green vindow manager" that I don't know the name (kind of the default with xorg). Do you have any ideas why I am getting these warnings/errors?

Thanx

#8 2005-05-05 18:36:26

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Carbono wrote:

As I mentionned before, this morning before I tried to install fluxbox-devel these commands would start the "green vindow manager" that I don't know the name (kind of the default with xorg). Do you have any ideas why I am getting these warnings/errors?

I know what you're talking about - but I don't know why it ever worked... it shouldn't - in order to run X programs you need to have X running.  The best you can do is use:

# xinit -e xterm

Board footer