You are not logged in.

#1 2005-05-04 04:26:49

aikidoist72

Dual Layer DVD - burning HOWTO

I have just bought a new ASUS 1608P dvd-rom.  It´s simply divine!!!  After Google-ing I realise there is not much help on burning a dvd-whatever.img with K3b. 

Dvdrom abilities

ASUS DRW-1608P 1.17 (/dev/hdc, ) at /mnt/dvd-rw [CD-R; CD-RW; CD-ROM; DVD-ROM; DVD-R; DVD-RW; DVD+R; DVD+RW] [DVD-ROM; DVD-R Sequential; DVD-RW Restricted Overwrite; DVD-RW Sequential; DVD+RW; DVD+R; DVD+R Double Layer; CD-ROM; CD-R; CD-RW] [SAO; TAO; RAW; SAO/R16; RAW/R96P; RAW/R96R]

Make sure you have Dual Layer discs not Single layer discs otherwise these instructions will not work.

Cheers

Sitting quietly
Doing nothing
The grass grows
And the flowers bloom
All by themselves

#2 2005-05-04 18:26:17

sud_crow
Website

Re: Dual Layer DVD - burning HOWTO

I dont own one, so im talking pure theory!

If im not wrong, K3B its probably one of the friendliest-noob-burning-apps-ever-made. And also, a quite powerful one for that matter.

Then, according to my experience with it, i would stick the DVDR DL in the DVDRW and launch k3b, then use the Burn Image option, and select the file you want to burn... if it works up to this stage, i would try Simulate before burning, just to make sure im not making a toaster out of $45 (around U$S15).

And maybe, just maybe...

pd. Please report how you did it, im planning in acquiring one.

Leonardo Andrés Gallego
www.archlinux-es.org || Comunidad Hispana de Arch Linux

#3 2005-05-04 19:13:31

kipper

DL dvd burning is handled by dvd+rw-tools (i.e. growisofs).  I know I can do burn a DVD movie image using:

growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/cdroms/cdrom0=movie.img

K3B operates as a very friendly frontend to many dvd/cd writing utilities, so I imagine it will write the dvd with no problems, as long as dvd+rw-tools is installed.  Never used k3b before, so I can't say for sure.

#4 2005-05-04 22:40:11

aikidoist72

Here are the instructions for burning DL DVD backups in K3b

Open K3b and click on New -> New Project -> New Video DVD Project

Locate the Audio_TS & Video_TS folders using the address bar at the top of K3b

Drag the two folders of the DVD you wish to backup into the botom left box where these two folders are greyed out.

Once K3b is ready to go, place your DL DVD disc into the drve.

Right click on the green and red bar and the botom of K3b which displays a box titled DVD Size.  Click on the ¨From disc¨ entry and your bar should now turn green.

Click ¨Burn¨ in the bottom right and fill out the extra details you wish, and copmlete your backup by clicking on ¨Burn¨ button again.

Thanks Kipper for your response.  I will try the CLI method next backup.  big_smile

Sitting quietly
Doing nothing
The grass grows
And the flowers bloom
All by themselves

#5 2005-05-05 18:59:50

sud_crow
Website

Great, thanks for commenting on how you did it.

ps. also the CLI tip its a good one, i have to learn a bit more about CLI burning as it would save me some time.

Leonardo Andrés Gallego
www.archlinux-es.org || Comunidad Hispana de Arch Linux

Board footer