You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-26 18:45:46

dillesca

[SOLVED] Upgrade to kernel 2.6.36 problems

Hello.

Today (November 26) I upgraded my system to kernel 2.6.36, which did not at all break my system, but did  cause a number of failures:

1. module tp_smapi is no longer found
2. module thinkpad_ec is no longer found
3. starting acpid fails
4. starting hdapsd fails
5. I get the following error when trying to load alsamixer at boot:

Unknown hardware: "HDA Intel" "Conexant Cx20585" "HDA: 14f(some junk), (more), (more), (more)"
Hardware not found, guess method used (or something like that)      FAILED

I "resolved" all these issues (temporarily) by removing tp and ec from the modules array, and acpi from the daemon array, and commenting out most of the /etc/rc.local file

However, I am confused about the alsamixer hardware error, especially since the sound continues to work from boot (so settings are restored at boot).

I am also wondering if someone can comment on the modules or daemons error. Should I try to reinstall them, or are they "built in" now, or are there new alternatives?

EDIT: It was a pain in the ass, but all problems were resolved after reinstalling tp_smapi, then hdapsd, and finally running alsaconfig. I hope these sorts of issues aren't endemic.

Last edited by dillesca (2010-11-26 19:15:18)

---Lenovo T510--Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU M620@2.67GHz---x86_64---4GB RAM---NVIDIA NVS 3100---
---320GB Seagate Momentus 7200.4 Series Hard Drive---
----xfce4---2.6.36-ARCH---

#2 2010-11-26 21:05:22

yvonney

Re: [SOLVED] Upgrade to kernel 2.6.36 problems

most interesting. there's many threads about this kernel version. lots of virtualbox issues and for many of us just plain hard restarts with no logs i think to tell anything.   any info appreciated. I am guessing that your issues are part of it though it seems there's something fundamentally wrong overall. That's to say, I don't know!

Last edited by yvonney (2010-11-26 21:07:57)

#3 2010-11-27 18:42:44

Nahuel

Sorry for sticking in.
In my case, upgrading to kernel 2.6.36 broke my system. Usually at boot up (when working properly), it would go blank for half a second at "waiting for udev events to be processed" and then continued normally. After the update, it went blank at that moment but never continued. I booted with the fallback image and was able to downgrade kernel versions from the pacman cache.

What does one do at these situations? Does this mean I can never upgrade the kernel? tongue

#4 2010-11-27 20:35:53

MaBeef

Nahuel, are you using KMS? I get the exact same problem when booting from the live CD (but not on the new kernel). I have a Radeon so to fix it on the live cd I have to pass the radeon.modeset=0 boot option to the kernel each time I use it.

#5 2010-12-04 00:26:06

schroeder

Nahuel wrote:

Sorry for sticking in.
In my case, upgrading to kernel 2.6.36 broke my system. Usually at boot up (when working properly), it would go blank for half a second at "waiting for udev events to be processed" and then continued normally. After the update, it went blank at that moment but never continued. I booted with the fallback image and was able to downgrade kernel versions from the pacman cache.

I have the same issue. However, the Fallback Kernel does not work either. At least not every time. Every once in a while I am able to boot into the fallback kernel.

Downgrading to 2.6.35 works fine.

I hope this gets resolved soon.

Is there a bug report yet?

Board footer