You are not logged in.

#1 2005-04-18 08:39:44

frobelhof

kaudiocreator very slow (unusable) in new kde 3.4.0

Kaudiocreator was just about to make the day of a guy in the process of being converted to linux, when it appeared not to work anymore after upgrade to kde 3.4.0.  The program becomes unrepsonsive and the CD drive makes "search" sounds and never comes to actually ripping a CD.

The guy in question decided to that this was the last straw after the imense problems with sound, websites not displaying correctly with the "fast" (konqueror)browser (too impatient to wait for firebird to load) and media plugins too hard to configure and rebooted in to windows, possibly never to return....

The above illustrates how little bugs can influence big decisions....

Nevertheless, I myself am sticking with linux and would like to rip with kaudiocreator again... (Grip is just too complicated) Anyone have a clue?

#2 2005-04-18 13:05:20

lucke

Re: kaudiocreator very slow (unusable) in new kde 3.4.0

If KAudioCreator gives you problems (it seems to work OK here, but haven't tested it thoroughly) you could give audiocd ioslave a try. Just go to Control Center>Sound&Multimedia>Audio Cds, set the things you want and then type audiocd:/ into konqueror's address bar. You could also give abcde a try, it seems to be a nice and easy to use command line tool.

#3 2005-04-18 14:40:43

frobelhof

Thanks for the hint,

I am aware of audiocd slave, but it does not offer the same one click ripping solution with good artist/album folder layout that kaudiocreator does. I have found that they are into this bug at kde, and lable it critical.

lucke wrote:

If KAudioCreator gives you problems (it seems to work OK here, but haven't tested it thoroughly) you could give audiocd ioslave a try. Just go to Control Center>Sound&Multimedia>Audio Cds, set the things you want and then type audiocd:/ into konqueror's address bar. You could also give abcde a try, it seems to be a nice and easy to use command line tool.

#4 2005-04-19 08:45:40

waldek_a

Hi!
I had similar problem a few weeks ago. I did not manage to solve it at that time but started looking for an alternative package. What I found was "abcde" which is a command line tool. I know it sounds a bit 19th century  wink but after I configured it I don't need anything else.
There is a configuration file that you need to customize once and after that you just insert a cd and type "abcde", it queries CDDB and presents you with matches it found, you can choose which one suits you and, which is quite impressive for me, choose syntax (for example track number, artist, title or track number, title, artist, if "-" or "/" was used to separate artist and title etc). Of course it distinguishes between single artist and VA, it creates ID3 tags etc.
The only thing I do not have working is automatic m3u (playlist) creation but I use Kid3 for that, so no big problem.
Just give it a try, if you want a sample config I can send you mine but it's not a rocket science  smile

#5 2005-04-21 14:11:48

elahav

This is probably related to the following bug:
http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=98477
The patch attached to the bug report solved the problem for me.

Elad

#6 2005-05-06 06:21:20

anglian252

Ok, newbie here....how do you apply the patch?

#7 2005-05-09 17:12:01

elahav

Not really something you would like to do as a newbie... Unless you really want to learn.
The best option would be to ask the kdemultimedia maintainer to provide a new package, which should not be too difficult. If he/she does not want to do it, I can post some instructions on how to check out the kdemultimedia code and apply the patch.

Elad

#8 2005-05-10 03:54:44

jbsnake

i just finished ripping 50+ cds recently...all was under kde 3.4...all was  done using kaudiocreator...i can't say i saw any problems with it...well..atleast once i made sure it stopped checking the internet for cddb info if i wasn't connected smile
not saying that was the problem, but it seemed to help smile

#9 2005-05-10 11:47:15

scarecrow

K3B rips audioCD's just great! (grip too, of course).
Why do you need kaudiocreator?
There's also the rip king, Exact Audio Copy under Wine, but you must enable the obsolete IDE-SCSI emulation to make it work properly (I just wish Wine could emulate a windows2000 system some day, where you can use the native layer and not ASPI and SCSI tricks...).

Microshaft delenda est

Board footer