You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-05 22:15:03

Ben9250
Website

[SOLVED] fbsplash and grub2

Hi, I wanted to give myself a splashscreen but the Fbsplash wiki only shows how to do this with grub legacy, and currently my computers booting is controlled by grub2 from Ubuntu, as it insisted on it. So I was wondering if theres a way to circumvent this, I don't want to go and do something that might mean I can't boot at all. I've heard of chainloading, which links from the bootloader on the MBR to other distro or partition specific bootloaders, but I've only really seen this with the example of Windows, and grub2 and Ubuntu sort it out for the user, meaning nothing is learned. Could anybody give me some advice?

Cheers,
Ben.

Last edited by Ben9250 (2010-12-06 07:12:15)

"In England we have come to rely upon a comfortable time-lag of fifty years or a century intervening between the perception that something ought to be done and a serious attempt to do it."
  - H. G. Wells

#2 2010-12-05 22:39:24

fsckd
Forum Fellow

Re: [SOLVED] fbsplash and grub2

With a little work, the instructions for GRUB can apply to GRUB2.

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

#3 2010-12-06 00:19:54

Ben9250
Website

I'm wondering if editing the menu file directly with grub2 (not officially recommended) would work, although as soon as update-grub was called it would be gone again. Googling now for grub2 instructions.

EDIT: It seems there is no/little instruction for this.

Last edited by Ben9250 (2010-12-06 00:44:23)

"In England we have come to rely upon a comfortable time-lag of fifty years or a century intervening between the perception that something ought to be done and a serious attempt to do it."
  - H. G. Wells

#4 2010-12-06 01:41:45

fsckd
Forum Fellow

You have to create files in /etc/grub.d or whatever it's called. Turn off os autodetect and make your own Arch entries using what it's in the menu file now.

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

#5 2010-12-06 04:14:53

Ben9250
Website

Ok thanks, I've pacman'd grub2 and used Arch's instead of ubuntu and set my Arch / partition with the boot flag, not that it would make much difference because grub2 is put on the MBR. Although it has acted a bit differently, I now hove the choice of the lts kernel, which I don't think I've been using up to now, I've installed all my modules for kernel26. And It won't audodetect any of the Ubuntu partitions. Although, truth be told, I've been having problems with the ubuntu partitions for quite some time, they seem to think they're called UberStudent, not Ubuntu. I tried putting ubuntu entries in 40-custom but it hasn't worked yet. But I'm going to try and turn autodetection off and use only custom. Or I may just put grub-legacy on.

[EDIT] Got it going - disabled the automatic scripts and just added everything to the 40_custom file and added the kernel line and it works fine. Had a kernel panic the first time I tried but it works now perfectly, must have been a typo.

Last edited by Ben9250 (2010-12-06 07:11:47)

- H. G. Wells

#6 2010-12-06 13:34:53

sausageandeggs

I know it solved but another way to do it is to edit /etc/default/grub and change the line

"GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet"

e.g mine looks like this:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="nologo fastboot quiet console=tty1 vga=792 splash=silent,theme:arch-banner-icons,fadein"

that way you don't have to manually edit grub.cfg every time you run grub-mkconfig.
Works fine for me, I've had grub2 + fbsplash running well together for a while, in fact I didn't even know they weren't supposed to play well together till I saw this thread hmm

Board footer