You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-02 05:52:01

johnislarry
Website

Wicd locks up my computer for five minutes before connecting.

Hello, a few days ago wicd-curses just inexplicably stopped working properly. I can use it at both of my houses with no problem (for both wired and wireless connections), but when I try to connect at school or any other place except for my two houses, nothing will happen, my keyboard will completely stop working for about five minutes. Then things work again and wicd connects me to the internet. This all started happening around the same time as the kernel update a few days ago, although I don't know that it's a problem with the kernel or how it was installed or being used or whatever. I've also noticed some considerable performance decreases since the wicd problem that weren't there before. Somethings will freeze for a few seconds then come back online.

Whenever I try to use wicd to connect I get the following error message. I've tried to restart the daemons (both wicd and dbus) but to no avail. Any help is appreciated. If you need more configuration information I can provide it. Thanks.

DBus failure! This is most likely caused by the wicd daemon stopping while wicd-curses is running. Please re    start the daemon, and then restart wicd-curses.
  3 Traceback (most recent call last):
  4   File "/usr/share/wicd/curses/wicd-curses.py", line 904, in call_update_ui
  5     self.update_ui(True)
  6   File "/usr/share/wicd/curses/wicd-curses.py", line 89, in wrapper
  7     return func(*args, **kargs)
  8   File "/usr/share/wicd/curses/wicd-curses.py", line 915, in update_ui
  9     self.handle_keys(input_data[1])
 10   File "/usr/share/wicd/curses/wicd-curses.py", line 836, in handle_keys
 11     self.connect("wireless",pos)
 12   File "/usr/share/wicd/curses/wicd-curses.py", line 929, in connect
 13     wireless.ConnectWireless(networkid)
 14   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/dbus/proxies.py", line 140, in __call__
 15     **keywords)
 16   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/dbus/connection.py", line 630, in call_blocking
 17     message, timeout)
 18 dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes     include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the     reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken. 

#2 2010-12-02 16:51:37

lilsirecho
Veteran

Re: Wicd locks up my computer for five minutes before connecting.

Perhaps it is your python version which may be causing the problem.  Check the arch news listing for python3....

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#3 2010-12-02 18:04:34

johnislarry
Website

Well I've been able to use wicd fine since the migration to python3. I don't think wicd is mean to run on 3 anyway, but it seems to be running on 2.7 according to the error message, so that doesn't seem wrong to me. I can ask around on IRC if the wicd devs are familiar with any python problems tonight when I get home from school.

Again I don't think it's python though. Does anybody have any other ideas?

#4 2010-12-03 02:08:50

uwinkelvos

Hi, i had some similar troubles (but without any lookups) a few weeks back. When i remember correctly the iocontrol interface was more problematic than the external, but that wasn't working as expected either. Anyhow I then read a rumor that wicd upstream is pretty much dead. So i deceided to give networkmanager a shot. That does work realy good. I'am pretty much impressed. There is no curses interface yet but a simple commandline tool.

Last edited by uwinkelvos (2010-12-03 02:09:30)

#5 2010-12-03 06:58:35

johnislarry
Website

Ahh it looks like the dream is dying. I'll try and see if networkmanager runs without any problems tomorrow and post back the results.

#6 2010-12-07 01:23:37

johnislarry
Website

Hello, It's been a little longer than I anticipated but oh well.

I turned off the wicd daemon and that solved all the slow response/performance decrease problems I'd had before. I suspect that when the kernel updated, wicd hadn't been properly equipped to handle certain software on my computer, and this in turn caused dbus to act all wonky, and making some applications slow to respond. I would bet it was my wireless driver (the broadcom wl one) that was the problem, but I doubt i'll ever find out.

For now I'm going to try a different networking client, probably networkmanager although it seems a little tricky to try and get that to work in xmonad. If wicd ever updates and fixes itself, I'll probably go back to it.

Thanks for all your help.

#7 2010-12-07 02:35:23

bones
Website

I was having problems with wicd also, but mine were kernel panics whenever coming out of hibernation. Went back to networkmanager and no problems since. Haven't really had much time to look into it just yet though. I think you're on the right track with regards to the kernel upgrade.

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Board footer