You are not logged in.

#26 2005-05-06 13:20:58

viniosity
Website

Re: adesklets

nggalai wrote:

Is  /home/viniosity/.adesklets a folder or a file? adesklet's config file is called .adesklets so you shouldn't create a folder named .adesklets to store your desklets in. It's in the FAQ.

Problem is solved but what you say above doesn't jive with my experience.  In the pkg I installed config is stored it a txt file called config.txt.  It's says to modify that file in the readme.  Modifying that file works.. maybe you could link to the faq? Or perhaps the faq doesn't apply to the arch version.

#27 2005-05-06 14:09:51

nggalai
Website

viniosity wrote:
nggalai wrote:

Is  /home/viniosity/.adesklets a folder or a file? adesklet's config file is called .adesklets so you shouldn't create a folder named .adesklets to store your desklets in. It's in the FAQ.

Problem is solved but what you say above doesn't jive with my experience.  In the pkg I installed config is stored it a txt file called config.txt.  It's says to modify that file in the readme.  Modifying that file works.. maybe you could link to the faq? Or perhaps the faq doesn't apply to the arch version.

http://adesklets.sourceforge.net/doc/en … tions.html

Item A.2.5. I was wondering because of the error message including " Config(adesklets.ConfigFile):"

-Sascha.rb

#28 2005-05-06 19:03:15

viniosity
Website

Interesting.. I'll check that out and see if I can't get it set up properly.  At the moment it's sort of working.  The problem is that it first does the numlockx (works fine) then adesklets (ok) but then when gnome launches, the gnome desktop appears "over" the adesklets.  So.. even though they are launched.. I can't see them.  I tried modifying the order to load gnome first and then the adesklet but gnome takes just a fraction of second longer so the problem persists.  Is there a way to delay the next command from being executed by a second or something?  i.e. execute gnome, then numlockx, then wait 1 second, then adesklets?

#29 2005-05-06 19:11:16

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

try this:

gnome-session & pid=$!

numlockx &
/home/viniosity/.adesklets/python weatherforecast.py &

wait $pid

basically, if your xinitrc script "end" (falls through the bottom), then X dies... so, you need to make sure the script stays up as long as you want it too.

This script will start gnome in the background (but wait, it's supposed to keep the script alive!), then gets the PID of the newly executed gnome-session.  Everything else is then executed, and gnome has already begun setting up.
At the end of the script, it issues a "wait" command on the PID of gnome-session, causing the script to hang until that PID doesn't exist

#30 2005-05-06 20:34:22

viniosity
Website

It was a good idea, but unfortunately it didn't work.. I even tried modifying it a bit to look like this:

#
# ~/.xinitrc
#
# Executed by startx (run your window manager from here)
#
gnome-session & pid=$!
numlockx &
wait $pid &
/home/viniosity/.adesklets/weatherforecast.py
#exec gnome-session
#exec numlockx &
#exec /home/vince/.adesklets/python weatherforecast.py &
# exec startkde
# exec icewm
# exec blackbox
# exec fluxbox

But that didn't help either.. I guess my Celeron is just too fast.  Either that or Arch is too fast.  big_smile

#31 2005-05-06 20:37:59

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

You do not need to run weatherforecast.py on every start up .....

only adesklets ...

you only run weatherforecast.py once to set up config then after that you simply run adesklets

so you need to add adesklets to your .xinitrc file

HTH

Mr Green

#32 2005-05-09 15:32:01

DJayC

Anyone else having problems with the transparency with adesklets?  I have that weather desklet running, but its just got a black background.. no transparency.

#33 2005-05-09 15:50:42

FUBAR
Website

What windowmanager are you using?

I had transparency problems with Fluxbox too, I fixed it by installing "feh". It appears Fluxbox's fbsetbg uses feh to show the wallpaper.

A bus station is where a bus stops.
A train station is where a train stops.
On my desk I have a workstation.

#34 2005-05-09 19:01:41

beniro

DJayC: Have you tried right-clicking and doing a restart on the desklet?

#35 2005-05-09 19:14:54

sud_crow
Website

#
# ~/.xinitrc
#
# Executed by startx (run your window manager from here)
#

gnome-session & 
numlockx &
adesklets &

exec gnome-session

# exec startkde
# exec icewm
# exec blackbox
# exec fluxbox 

That should work. Copy and past it into your .xinitrc file.
You ONLY EXEC in the LAST LINE. (that is, the last thing you want xinitr to load).

aDesklets stores your runned desklets, so next time you run it, it loads them automatically. You have to "remove" them, while you are running aDesklets so next time, they dont appear.
Also, if you want other Desktop or Window manager, comment exec gnome-session and uncomment the one you want to run.

Leonardo Andrés Gallego
www.archlinux-es.org || Comunidad Hispana de Arch Linux

#36 2005-05-09 21:25:00

schumph

I can't seem to get adesklets to run using the adesklets command. I first got weatherforecast.py to run then tried adding adesklets to my .xinitrc file. Nothing happening, however. Tried running it from the command line to similar result. Nothing happens not even a "command not found".

"If you break your leg, stop thinking about dancing and start decorating the cast." --Warren Zevon

#37 2005-05-09 21:51:36

viniosity
Website

schumph wrote:

I can't seem to get adesklets to run using the adesklets command. I first got weatherforecast.py to run then tried adding adesklets to my .xinitrc file. Nothing happening, however. Tried running it from the command line to similar result. Nothing happens not even a "command not found".

I have the same problem.  I'm assuming that the pkg doesn't work correctly.. it says to move everything into /home/your_user/.adesklets which conflicts with the FAQ (posted earlier in the thread).  I haven't gotten around to fixing the location of the install, but I'm hoping that's what it is.

#38 2005-05-09 22:08:46

Meshuggin

I don't have any problems adding adesklets to ~/.xinitrc and the desklets  are in ~/download/adesklets, everything is there when I execute "adesklets" (desklets)

Arch GNU/Linux 0.7.1 (Noodle)
Linux 2.6.14-archck1

#39 2005-05-09 22:24:39

schumph

The other thing I have noticed is that I could get it to run from xinitrc by putting weatherforecast.py in there. The disadvantage to this option is that when fluxbox booted the desklet had the background of x and not the background in my fluxbox setup. Upon moving the desklet, however, the background became transparent and righted itself.

"If you break your leg, stop thinking about dancing and start decorating the cast." --Warren Zevon

#40 2005-05-10 09:11:16

FUBAR
Website

viniosity wrote:
schumph wrote:

I have the same problem.  I'm assuming that the pkg doesn't work correctly.. it says to move everything into /home/your_user/.adesklets which conflicts with the FAQ (posted earlier in the thread).  I haven't gotten around to fixing the location of the install, but I'm hoping that's what it is.

The pkg should tell you to either move it to your ~ or to chown the /usr/share/adesklets dir. Unfortunately there is no way to install a pkg into a user's home-dir.

#41 2005-05-11 21:10:01

DJayC

What windowmanager are you using?

I had transparency problems with Fluxbox too, I fixed it by installing "feh". It appears Fluxbox's fbsetbg uses feh to show the wallpaper.

I'm using XFCE.  Restarting the desklet didn't help.  Any other ideas?

#42 2005-06-11 10:50:23

FUBAR
Website

I'm getting sick of these adesklets: they used to work fine for a few months. Yesterday, all the sudden no desklets to be seen. So I ran "adesklets" which gave me no output at all, nothing happened either. The only way to get my desklets to show up was by running "python <adesklet>.py". If I did that, right-clicking on the desklet wouldn't show a menu. So I had to hardcode the X and Y params into ~/.adesklets. This worked and after running "adesklets" my desklets showed up again. This morning they were gone again tho and my ~/.adesklets was reset. Now I can't even get them to show up when I hardcode .adesklets. I'm going to try gDesklets ...

#43 2005-06-11 11:00:25

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

Well I am having the same problems, sometimes they work most of the time they do not ...

maybe its a problem with 0.4.9

Have you checked with adesklet forum?

Mr Green

#44 2005-06-11 14:12:50

FUBAR
Website

Today 0.4.10 was released so I updated my package. The problems seem to have gone now.

#45 2005-06-14 13:51:47

tomk
Forum Fellow

Your PKGBUILD specifies an install script, but it's not in the AUR. Is this a mistake, or is it no longer required?

<edit>
Got it running anyway - thanks.

#46 2005-06-14 16:01:16

Meshuggin

FUBAR wrote:

Today 0.4.10 was released so I updated my package. The problems seem to have gone now.

Nice to know wink ... I had the same problem, no menu on right click.

Arch GNU/Linux 0.7.1 (Noodle)
Linux 2.6.14-archck1

#47 2005-06-14 16:16:53

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

<psst> menu would have worked right click + ctrl </psst>

changed back in 0.4.10

enjoy

Mr Green

#48 2005-08-12 01:20:02

FJ
Website

DJayC wrote:

Anyone else having problems with the transparency with adesklets?  I have that weather desklet running, but its just got a black background.. no transparency.

I'm having the same problem with KDE 3.4.1 and adesklets 0.4.10.  I installed feh just the hell of it and it didn't fix it (not sure what to do with feh anyway to get transparency on the adesklets working).  All of the adesklets I've tried so far have a black background.

Anyone know the secret to get this working?

Board footer