You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-04 09:04:13

Slicksilver555

Wine

So, I rent a VPS at http://linode.com and have an archlinux partition on there, along with a Ubuntu partition. These servers have no graphics cards in them, which would be okay except for the reason wine goes apeshit because of this. On ubuntu, I was getting errors about how no video device could be found, and thus a window could not be made. On archlinux, I got an error about Curses. I had a friend who is extremely programming savvy help me compile wine with curses support, but it was unable to find curses when I would run the file. I was running a dedicated batch file that executed "game.exe -dedicated". I tried manually executing "wine game.exe -dedicated" but it would just produce another cluster of errors. My friend went offline, and having a seemingly bright thought at the time, I attempted to uninstall his compiled version of wine, which didn't go too well. The make uninstall ended with

rmdir: failed to remove `/usr/local/share/wine': No such file or directory
rmdir: failed to remove `/usr/local/lib/wine/fakedlls': No such file or directory
rmdir: failed to remove `/usr/local/lib/wine': No such file or directory
make: [uninstall] Error 1 (ignored)

and having another bright idea, I executed "pacman -S wine", overwriting the precompiled version. Then, getting error messages that wine wasn't found, I executed "pacman -R wine" then "pacman -S wine" again, but got the same error. So, as you can see I'm in quite a pickle as far as providing errors goes. But, nonetheless, I want to ask if you can even run wine a) without KDE or GNOME    b) without a graphics card.

Thanks in advance for your help.

edit: Since this has to do with a game, I posted in this section. Some forums are defensive about what section you post what in.

Last edited by Slicksilver555 (2010-12-04 09:05:17)

#2 2010-12-05 02:27:56

bug

Re: Wine

Try to use find:
find / -name 'wine'
This will tell you if you got that file... somewhere, hopefully.

As for the questions... no clue.

#3 2010-12-07 21:36:04

RiceKills

Re: Wine

I know for sure you can run wine without Gnome/KDE, and you might be able to get it to work without a graphics card if you tunnel X through ssh to your computer, but Im not sure about that.

Board footer