You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-07 21:42:08

raginaot

how to auto mount usb devices when they're plugged in?

How do I make usb drives be mounted automatically as soon as they are plugged in?
It seems to be trying to mount my thumbdrive when I plug it in, but I get this error pop up "unable to mount #GB filesystem - not authorized"
So I guess I have to add my user to some group or something, but I don't know which group that would be...

I've used some program in ubuntu to do this, but this should be possible without some extra app right?

Last edited by raginaot (2010-12-07 21:42:49)

#2 2010-12-07 21:52:35

brisbin33
Website

Re: how to auto mount usb devices when they're plugged in?

I believe "storage" is the only group you need to be in (there could be more).  It sounds like you're using a DE which is trying to automount but can't.  In that case, see if the group thing helps.  Also, starting your WM with `exec ck-launch-session...` is sometimes required.

If you want to forego all that and go with a simpler approach, there are a few nice rules on the Udev wiki page that I like to use.

#3 2010-12-07 21:53:41

Nanthiel

Try to add your user to the group "storage", maybe try "optical" as well.
This is done by issuing

gpasswd -a <username> <groupname>

as root.

So, for example:

# gpasswd -a matej storage

or

$ sudo gpasswd -a matej storage

You also may need to change your /etc/fstab entries. But I did not have to (I use Thunar as my file manager).

— Matej

#4 2010-12-07 22:46:24

raginaot

brisbin33 wrote:

I believe "storage" is the only group you need to be in (there could be more).  It sounds like you're using a DE which is trying to automount but can't.  In that case, see if the group thing helps.  Also, starting your WM with `exec ck-launch-session...` is sometimes required.

If you want to forego all that and go with a simpler approach, there are a few nice rules on the Udev wiki page that I like to use.

thank you
the udev thing worked

my user was already in the storage group, but I still need to mount devices as root, even if I use the "mount" command.

#5 2010-12-07 23:03:02

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

You'll probably have to set up policykit as well.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

Board footer