You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-08 15:11:39

darose

Fluxbox broken when launched via qingy

Not sure what's going on, but for some reason out of the blue fluxbox no longer works properly when launched by qingy.  FB launches, but seems to only partially start up.  The desktop background is black, instead of showing my wallpaper, and although I can right-click on the desktop to bring up a menu, when I click on anything in the menu (e.g., aterm) it never gets launched.

This isn't a fluxbox-specific issue, as I'm able to launch FB fine from a different desktop manager (slim).  And it isn't a qingy-specific issue, as I'm able to launch other WM's just fine from qingy (e.g., icewm, fvwm crystal, etc.)

What's odd is that this combination of qingy/fluxbox was working fine up until recently, and I haven't changed anything in my qingy configuration in ages.  I just haven't used this combo in a while, and now when I come back to it it somehow got broken (by some unrelated package upgrade, I'm guessing).

My qingy fluxbox launch script reads as follows, btw:

[darose@daroselin ~]$ cat /etc/qingy/xsessions/fluxbox 
#!/bin/dash
. /etc/profile
/usr/bin/startfluxbox

Anyone have any idea what might have broken this and/or how to fix?

TIA!

Last edited by darose (2010-12-08 16:16:15)

#2 2010-12-08 16:00:25

onefriedrice

Re: Fluxbox broken when launched via qingy

I am also seeing the behavior you describe, though I login with Qingy through my xsession:

exec bash --login -c 'startfluxbox'

I don't have time now, but I'll try to see when the regression occurred in a few days.  I'm up against finals now.  Hopefully somebody else figures it out before. big_smile

#3 2010-12-15 14:41:45

darose

Haven't heard back any workarounds from anywhere.

I upgraded to the new version of qingy yesterday, but that doesn't seem to fix the problem.

Opened a bug for this issue:  https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/22111

#4 2011-01-03 03:09:26

onefriedrice

Well, I got hit by this again when I updated world on my Gentoo desktop, so I guess it was time I finished investigating this.  Unfortunately that update included a whole bunch of X libraries, so tracking this down further to a specific package doesn't sound very fun.  But at least I figured out the cause of the weirdness and a workaround.

For some reason, Fb is trying to execute programs on the :0 display, but the X server uses the :1 display.  I know of two workarounds, but I haven't bothered to determine how either might effect the use of other login or window managers.

1. Tell Fb to use the correct display.  The last command in the $HOME/.fluxbox/startup file should execute fluxbox.  Change this to something like:

exec fluxbox -display :1.0

OR

2. Tell Qingy to use the correct display.  In Qingy's configuration file at /etc/qingy/settings, set this option:

x_server_offset = 0

Enjoy.

Last edited by onefriedrice (2011-01-03 03:16:50)

#5 2011-01-03 21:34:47

darose

Hmmm .... fix #2 didn't seem to work, but fix #1 did.  Thanks!

#6 2011-01-04 18:43:04

darose

FYI - I wound up fixing it like so:

before:

#!/bin/dash
. /etc/profile
/usr/bin/startfluxbox

after:

#!/bin/dash