You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-07 22:44:26

Japanlinux

KDE plasma-desktop on gnome possible?

Hello, I've been looking for a nice netbook interface for my netbook, and so far my favorite is the kde implementation. Full KDE runs okay, but there are times where it will inexplicable become far too slow (when using JUST Kate). This has led to a conundrum: do I stick with this random slowness or give up the interface?

Thus my question becomes, can I use a gnome/xfce/lxde computer with the plasma-desktop (search and launch interface) without dragging in the whole kde environment. Is the desktop module or does it require all components of kde? To qualify this, I don't need the netbook interface, with it's annoying panel, or it's maximus-like features, just the interface to search my programs, open the from the desktop-menu thing, and do so looking good. So other interface work similarly, like the lxde launcher; but it is ugly ; ;

Anyone every attempted this?

#2 2010-12-08 00:33:56

pointone
Wiki Admin

Re: KDE plasma-desktop on gnome possible?

It sounds like you want GNOME Do...

M*cr*s*ft: Who needs quality when you have marketing?

#3 2010-12-08 05:11:28

Japanlinux

Well, I understand that Do can do all that, but I was hoping for something more. Is there a way to create layout and utility of the kde netbook interface on a desktop? ie: have icons represent the main menu categories, click on an icon, and the items from that category display on the desktop

#4 2010-12-08 15:42:08

pointone
Wiki Admin

It sounds like you want Unity... (I think there's a thread around about installing it on Arch...)

Otherwise, the Plasma desktop is provided by the kdebase-workspace package. See what happens when you attempt to install kdebase-workspace in terms of dependencies.

You could probably recompile the package manually so as to minimize dependencies, but that is another story altogether.

Perhaps a better solution would involve investigating why KDE occasionally becomes sluggish in more detail. I can think of a few things you ought to try...

M*cr*s*ft: Who needs quality when you have marketing?

Board footer