You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-26 20:33:47

heftig
Developer

PulseAudio in [testing]

I've put PulseAudio into [testing] some time ago, but received no feedback on this.

This either means it works well, or nobody uses it.

So I'm asking for it now, especially from GNOME and KDE users running PulseAudio.

#2 2010-11-26 21:07:34

adee

Re: PulseAudio in [testing]

Works here as expected. KDE 4.6 beta1 + pulse enabled phonon

#3 2010-11-26 22:36:34

ChemBro

Well, I have some problems with PulseAudio, but it might be, because I'm not familiar with it. Can't get any sound out of VLC with PulseAudio and the PulseAudio-Plugin, but maybe I did something wrong with KDE (4.6 beta 1). I think, I need some time to figure out, how PulseAudio works.

Dragon Player (from KDE 4.6) also doesn't work. But again, might be because of mistakes I made.

Edit: Also I'm using/testing PulseAudio since today...

Last edited by ChemBro (2010-11-26 22:37:07)

#4 2010-11-26 22:57:14

Xabre

Are there any plans for xine-lib with PA support?
Phonon-xine with PA would benefit from it.

Also, what about mplayer?

OK, there is pulseaudio-alsa, but I would like to avoid it without having to rebuild to many basic (well basic for me) packages.

Is there some kind of list packages that still need to be rebuilt for PA support, or those that won't be PA supported?

Other than that, everything works perfectlly, [testing]+[kde-unstable].
Great job on the packaging, really. Thanks. wink

#5 2010-11-26 23:08:38

heftig
Developer

I just rebuilt VLC to contain the pulse plugin.

I'll leave mplayer and mpd alone for now. mplayer can output to SDL (ao=sdl:pulse) and mpd can output to libao.

#6 2010-11-27 00:11:52

surfed

I use it and it works as expected for me.

#7 2010-11-27 01:58:00

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

heftig wrote:

I just rebuilt VLC to contain the pulse plugin.

I'll leave mplayer and mpd alone for now. mplayer can output to SDL (ao=sdl:pulse) and mpd can output to libao.

On the ML I posted this, but may as well repeat it. VLC doesn't depend/makedep pulse, you must have forgotten to add it smile. Works fine though.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#8 2010-11-27 02:00:21

heftig
Developer

Thanks, fixed in trunk.

#9 2010-11-27 03:38:29

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

When this moves to [extra] we'd need an announcement I think. New users especially would be confused with simple things like the typical gnome volume applet not controlling pulseaudio's app-specific all that well.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#10 2010-11-27 08:16:19

wonder
Developer
Website

ngoonee wrote:

When this moves to [extra] we'd need an announcement I think. New users especially would be confused with simple things like the typical gnome volume applet not controlling pulseaudio's app-specific all that well.

but is not default yet. it would be in our packages starting with gnome 3

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#11 2010-11-27 08:48:55

mj4077au

Just thought I'd put my two cents in. Been using PA for about four months now and the transition from Community to Testing has been smooth, also the upstream update just recently went smoothly as well smile

#12 2010-11-28 10:41:13

KlavKalashj

Using gnome and pulse works perfectly fine here, no problems. Have to build mplayer manually to include pulse support though.

#13 2010-12-08 15:10:39

samkpo

hi, i've been looking to make pulseaudio control the audio input without results. When i connect the input source (my phone wich i use to listen the radio) there is sound but there isn't new entry in kmix: http://twitpic.com/3e2r7y
please help.

by the way, i'm learning english, so if there is something you don't understand just ask :-P

#14 2010-12-08 15:53:21

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

samkpo wrote:

hi, i've been looking to make pulseaudio control the audio input without results. When i connect the input source (my phone wich i use to listen the radio) there is sound but there isn't new entry in kmix: http://twitpic.com/3e2r7y
please help.

by the way, i'm learning english, so if there is something you don't understand just ask :-P

Don't post in an old unrelated thread.

Don't post requests for help when you haven't even begun to use the basic tools available (wiki, google, forum search, your own brain).

#15 2010-12-08 18:32:06

samkpo

it isn't old, it was opened a few days ago. if you find something about what i'm asking in the wiki let me know. i've used the forum and this was a thread i thought this one was the best (you may be right about i did not made a better search), and my own brain doesn't have knowledge about everything, thats the reason i'm asking, don't you think?

#16 2010-12-08 21:57:50

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

samkpo wrote:

it isn't old, it was opened a few days ago. if you find something about what i'm asking in the wiki let me know. i've used the forum and this was a thread i thought this one was the best (you may be right about i did not made a better search), and my own brain doesn't have knowledge about everything, thats the reason i'm asking, don't you think?

Its 'old' in the sense that it was for an entirely different purpose. There is no mention here about kmix, or even about pulseaudio PROBLEMS in general, this thread is about the shift towards packaging pulseaudio as libpulse and pulseaudio separately to allow for in-repo support rather than [community]/AUR support previously.

In that situation, better you open a new thread. Don't expect much help however if this is all you're posting. You don't specify what you've tried, what settings you've modified, whether or not things like pavucontrol work, etc.

Board footer