You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-16 21:34:08

rokkon

keyboard behaviour on virtual console

Hey guys i've got a little annoying problem here with my keyboard.

Recently it behaves weird on virtual consoles. I have to press a key twice to make it work on several occasions, for example on a new promt after hitting enter or after pressing tab for tab-completion. It's some kind of an "deadkey-effect".
That only happens on virtual consoles when either xfce4 or gnome is running. Running "plain" xserver or slim produces normal behaviour.

Unfortunalety i can't really tell since when this is happening since i visit the vt's only rarely. Nevertheless it bugs me if i do. mad

#2 2010-02-13 14:27:08

icmurray

Re: keyboard behaviour on virtual console

Hi there, I'm having what appears to be the same problem:

When xfce4 is running, if I switch to a virtual terminal (tty1-6), then I need to type characters twice in order that they are echoed to the screen.  This only happens when xfce4 is running.  (The keyboard works fine in xfce).

I have tried setting and un-setting a keyboard in xorg.conf with no luck.

The only other thing I can think that of that might have caused this is that I have had an installation of qingy (and thus uvesafb).  But I made notes of my installation, and I'm quite sure I've cleaned properly after uninstalling uvesafb and qingy.  (The reason that I think it may be related is that I had the 'opposite' problem on qingy, where at login, every character I typed would be echoed twice to the qingy login screen).  Other than that, this is a pretty fresh install of Arch, so I'm a bit puzzled by what could be causing it.

Any ideas of where to look next will be gratefully received.  Many thanks,

Ian.

#3 2010-12-15 10:12:16

lupylucke

Re: keyboard behaviour on virtual console

Same problem here, I didn't check if it's xfce4-related, though.
Googling, I found an Ubuntu bug report that discusses the same problem.
The discussion of that bug report is quite long, the hint that solved the problem for me is to pass the option rate=40 to the module psmouse.
Do this either by unloading the module and then loading it again with the option:

# modprobe -r psmouse
# modporbe psmouse rate=40

or by adding an entry to /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf:

options psmouse rate=40

HTH

Board footer