You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-13 20:11:41

capoeira

moving back to my old PC :-( ..... another hard drive and 32bit only

Hi, have found some threads for moving root to another harddrive and for turning a 64bit Arch into a 32bit one. BUT since I need (could) to combine both i am opining this thread, since maybe there might exist an easier method than doing both one after the other.

situation is the following:
I have a 64bit Arch running on a laptop. And its running verry good. Now I need to go back to my old Sempron 2400+ PC, because the laptop wont be available for a couple of month.
root is installed on laptop's HD and I have an external USB-HD available.

What would be the best and easiest way to move my root to the other HD and changing from 64bit to 32bit??

any ideas?

#2 2010-12-13 21:05:36

jollysnowman

Re: moving back to my old PC :-( ..... another hard drive and 32bit only

I say make a list of installed packages, copy your home directory, and recreate everything with a fresh install.

#3 2010-12-13 21:31:10

lifeafter2am

I agree with Jolly.

I would tar my home directory, the /etc directory, get a list of packages and then do a fresh install.  It's not like it's Gentoo, where you have to compile everything.  smile

The only issue would be if you are on a limited/slow internet connection.

#binarii @ irc.binarii.net
Matrix Server: https://matrix.binarii.net
-------------
Allan -> ArchBang is not supported because it is stupid.

#4 2010-12-13 21:43:08

capoeira

/home is on the USB-HD

is there an easy way to make the list of packages and than include them to a pacman/yaourt comand automaticly? (I have a lot of AUR-packages, too)

internet connection is fast

#5 2010-12-13 21:52:56

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

pacman -Qq will list all
pacman -Qm will list manually installed

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#6 2010-12-13 22:00:34

capoeira

graysky wrote:

pacman -Qq will list all
pacman -Qm will list manually installed

nice, with some copy-pasting and a texteditor a can make a comand with that, I think
thanks

#7 2010-12-13 22:39:01

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

There is a command that lists all - manually installed... on the wiki or in here (I actually asked about it not too long ago if you wanna search on me).

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#8 2010-12-13 23:15:08

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Look at man pacman for what -Qe means.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#9 2010-12-14 01:43:26

capoeira

ngoonee wrote:

Look at man pacman for what -Qe means.

so with a "yaourt (output of pacman -Qe)" on my new system I get exactly the same packages wich I have installed now right?

Last edited by capoeira (2010-12-14 01:43:59)

#10 2010-12-14 14:55:53

jollysnowman

This is from the manpage for pacman:

-e, --explicit
           Restrict or filter output to packages explicitly installed. This option can be combined with -t to
           list top-level packages- those packages that were explicitly installed but are not required by any
           other package. (-Qet is equivalent to the pacman 2.9.X -Qe option.)

#11 2010-12-14 15:10:27

capoeira

jollysnowman wrote:

This is from the manpage for pacman:

-e, --explicit
           Restrict or filter output to packages explicitly installed.

I read that, but "explicitly" isn't that clear to me. but i think I understood

#12 2010-12-15 22:55:18

capoeira

so I created a comand.
will this work?
how do I prevent pacman to install packages 2x (many core-packages will already be installed)?

pacman -S a2jmidid-git alsa-firmware amarok amsn-extras-svn amsn-svn amsynth amule arandr archlinux-themes-kde archlinux-themes-kdm archup ardour aspell-pt_br atkmm attr audacity aurvote automake backintime-kde4 bash bin86 binutils bison bogofilter bristol bzip2 calf chromium cmt coreutils cryptsetup dash dbus-core dcron device-mapper dhcpcd diffutils dosfstools drc dupfinder e2fsprogs ed fakeroot fftw-threads fil-plugins file filesystem findutils flashplugin fluidr3 freerdp fslint furiusisomount gawk gcc gen-init-cpio gettext glibc gpicview grep grub guitarix-svn gzip hdparm htop hydrogen initscripts invada-studio-plugins invada-studio-plugins-lv2 iputils jack jamin jconvolver jfsutils jsampler k3b kde-l10n-pt_br kdebase-dolphin kdebase-kfind kdebase-konsole kdebase-kwrite kdebase-plasma kdebase-workspace kdebindings-python kdegraphics-gwenview kdegraphics-kolourpaint kdegraphics-okular kdepim-kmail kdepim-korganizer kdeplasma-addons-applets-notes kdesdk-kompare kdeutils-ark kernel26 kernel26-headers kernel26-lqx kernel26rt kgrab kmess ktorrent less libasyncns libflashsupport-jack libpulse libusb licenses lingot linux-firmware ll-plugins logrotate lv2-mdaepiano-git lv2fil lv2vocoder lxappearance lxde-common lxlauncher lxmenu-data lxpanel lxrandr lxsession-lite lxtask lxterminal m4 mailx make man-db man-pages mdadm menu-cache mercury2 module-init-tools mplayer nano net-tools netcfg ngrep ntfs-3g ntfsprogs openntpd pacman pacman-mirrorlist pam patch pciutils pcmciautils perl phasex phonon-xine picard procps psmisc pyqt python qjackctl qsynth qtractor rakarrack reflector reiserfsprogs rev-plugins rosegarden rp-pppoe rtirq sed seq24 shadow skype smplayer sudo swh-lv2 sysfsutils syslog-ng sysvinit tap-plugins-cvs tar tcp_wrappers teliasopia texinfo torrent-search udev unrar unzip usbutils util-linux-ng vcf wah-plugins wammu wget which wicd wine-rt wineasio winetricks wireless_tools wpa_supplicant xf86-input-keyboard xf86-input-mouse xfsprogs xorg-docs xorg-res-utils xorg-server xorg-server-utils xorg-twm xorg-utils xorg-xinit xterm yaourt yoshimi zita-at1

#13 2010-12-15 22:59:21

IncredibleLaser

append --needed to your pacman options.

#14 2010-12-15 23:01:50

capoeira

IncredibleLaser wrote:

append --needed to your pacman options.

cool, thanks

#15 2010-12-16 15:18:07

capoeira

tried the above comand with yaourt because of the AUR-packages. strangely it only installs the AUR-packages.
when I run it with pacman I get an error because of the AUR-packages (obviously). looked in "man pacman" for an option to ignore those but i didn't find any. anybody knows how?

#16 2010-12-16 16:58:19

perbh

I am sure there is some weird and wonderful way to do it - for me it's just hard slog :-(

Make a list of all packages(from your existing system) - then just go through it with:
pacman -S --needed `grep -v '^#' package.list`

Check output and comment out (using '#') each file that pacman objected to and try again.
Finally it will all install and your commented ones are either yaourt or replaced packages ...

Last edited by perbh (2010-12-16 16:59:36)

Board footer