You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-16 19:08:00

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

Minecraft, a game for the creative/explorer types

http://www.minecraft.net/
it's an indie game still in alpha and already more then 750k sales. (!!)
It gets a lot of hype, which I think is mostly deserved.  This game fulfills a human desire to be creative.  You see, the game basically generates a big natural map for you, and it's up to you to explore the area, digg and mine, and to build up structures.  There are underground caves, lakes, beaches, mountains (not very big though) , etc. with the resources you gain, the more you can do. and there are some extra's like animals, things trying to kill you at night, etc.

I'm playing it for a while and it's pretty fun.  Not super-addicting like some people say (at least not to me), and I think the days are too short (and the nights too long),
but check it out.  It's pretty minimalistic in terms of graphics and physics, the creator is focused mostly on gameplay.  (don't understimate the game though, it's pretty heavy.  i have an amd athlon 1800MHz with geforce fx5800 and the game can be stuttery unless i set "render distance" to short.  but once in a while i set it to far just to enjoy the view ;-)
If you buy it in alpha you will get all future upgrades (not the case when you buy it in beta), so while I think now it's not entirely worth my 10euro's, I think more value will come when the game becomes finished (and when proper multiplayer support arrives, etc)
also, there's little official documentation right now, but a pretty cool wiki: http://www.minecraft.net/, and an irc channel full of kids (who sometimes manage to be helpful, though)
For more info, look at the various online videos or articles.
http://www.google.be/search?q=minecraft

Last edited by Dieter@be (2010-12-16 19:12:17)

< Daenyth> and he works prolifically
4 8 15 16 23 42

#2 2010-12-16 19:11:04

Awebb

Re: Minecraft, a game for the creative/explorer types

They now want to make us buy games in pre-beta stage. Haha.

#3 2010-12-16 19:26:15

dyscoria

I was convinced by a friend to buy this (even though I never play games) and I guess it's an investment for the future tongue Some of the things people have done in minecraft are truly crazy...some guy built the entire star-trek enterprise (or some other star trek ship, I don't watch it).

There's logic gates implemented so some have built working clocks, LED displays and others have even built working computers within minecraft! I've seen rollercoasters made (you can build minecarts and tracks) and replicas of historic buildings...you name it, someone out there has made it.

Played it for a little when I bought it. Was kinda fun for a while, though mining gets tedious. I might give the game a try again in the future when it reaches the stable release, but I despise Java so I might change my mind by then tongue

flack 2.0.6: menu-driven BASH script to easily tag FLAC files (AUR)
knock-once 1.2: BASH script to easily create/send one-time sequences for knockd (forum/AUR)

#4 2010-12-16 19:31:13

Cyrusm

Awebb wrote:

They now want to make us buy games in pre-beta stage. Haha.

yeah, but is a crazy fun game, and the price is extremely low for what you get!

an entire world to build crap out of legos smile  Some examples of what I've seen people do are
1.) a scale replica of the starship Enterprise-D (the next generation one, and it was completely contained in a dome)
2.) the great pyramids of egypt, built on  a 10x scale, that is 10 times larger than the real ones.
3.) an underwater replica of the domed cities from game "BioShock"

and building something massive really only takes a couple of hours of game play, so it's not like you have to play for 5 years to get the good stuff like with some games. you just get in and start building stuff. and revel in the awesomeness.
I think that is pretty impressive for 10 euros!

Last edited by Cyrusm (2010-12-16 19:34:33)

Hofstadter's Law:
           It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

#5 2010-12-16 21:11:01

Ashren
Website

And you can even build calculators!

One example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF2Vk3RVUls

#6 2010-12-16 21:19:34

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

one thing that bothers me is that from the main menu, i cannot really quit the game. pressing Esc does nothing, so i have to kill the process, which is pretty much harmless, except i have to reconfigure my controls everytime i start the game.  Am i missing something?

4 8 15 16 23 42

#7 2010-12-16 21:20:55

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

That atomic bomb someone built was pretty insane too..

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#8 2010-12-17 12:26:17

moljac024

This game looks simply awesome beyond words...

EDIT: Doesn't make sense for people not to get free updates though...who is expected to buy the same game multiple times over?

Last edited by moljac024 (2010-12-17 12:34:05)

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

#9 2010-12-17 17:16:37

M_ller
Website

moljac024 wrote:

EDIT: Doesn't make sense for people not to get free updates though...who is expected to buy the same game multiple times over?

What do you mean?
I prepurchased it and I am getting updates whenever there are any.

#10 2010-12-18 07:57:08

quantumphaze

Dieter@be wrote:

one thing that bothers me is that from the main menu, i cannot really quit the game. pressing Esc does nothing, so i have to kill the process, which is pretty much harmless, except i have to reconfigure my controls everytime i start the game.  Am i missing something?

I press F11 to get it back to window mode and click the close button. I get the same controller config reset now but I didn't a few updates ago.

moljac024 wrote:

Doesn't make sense for people not to get free updates though...who is expected to buy the same game multiple times over?

I think he was referring to how other games by big publishers charge you for the release.

It says to use Sun (Oracle) JRE but I use OpenJDK and it works.

For an alpha game it is surprisingly stable. Though updates can sometimes remove features (like the decaying tree leaves).

▁▂▃▄▅▆▇█▉▊▋▌▍▎▏▏▎▍▌▋▊▉█▇▆▅▄▃▂▁

#11 2010-12-18 08:03:35

Nihathrael
Website

I can only agree, great game. I've had a lot more fun with these 10$ than with most full-price games. And the game is still in alpha! The multiplayer part ist extreme fun and there are tons of servers with a lot of different mods out there.

Cheers

Unknown Horizons - Open source real-time strategy game with the comfy Anno 1602 feeling!

#12 2010-12-18 15:40:55

moljac024

M_ller wrote:
moljac024 wrote:

What do you mean?
I prepurchased it and I am getting updates whenever there are any.

I was referring to this sentence from the OP: ...If you buy it in alpha you will get all future upgrades (not the case when you buy it in beta), so while I think now it's not entirely worth my 10euro's, I think more value will come when the game becomes finished (and when proper multiplayer support arrives, etc)...

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

#13 2010-12-19 19:21:19

z3r0acidk

I've been playing Minecraft for a long time now haha.
And OMG! I just saw it in the AUR!
But it says...
Last Updated: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 22:45:05 +0000
And they are really close to Beta!
Does it mean that if I install the package from the AUR I won't get any updates? T_T That would be sad.

#14 2010-12-19 21:33:18

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

quantumphaze wrote:
Dieter@be wrote:

I press F11 to get it back to window mode and click the close button. I get the same controller config reset now but I didn't a few updates ago.

awesome. i can play it fullscreen big_smile i've always played it on about 1/4 of my screen yikes

4 8 15 16 23 42

#15 2010-12-19 21:55:26

bremarv

moljac024 wrote:

Notch's exact wording was

if you got the game for during alpha, you will still get all future updates for free, despite this change. A promise is a promise. Buying the game during beta will include all updates up until release, of course, and bug patches will be free.

which I think means that those who bought during alpha will also get any potential expansion packs etc. for free, while beta people will have to buy these seperatly

"As a former philosophy major, it disturbs me to think that things disappear when no one is looking at them, but that's exactly what happens in Python" - Mark Pilgrim

#16 2010-12-20 01:40:32

quantumphaze

z3r0acidk wrote:

I've been playing Minecraft for a long time now haha.
And OMG! I just saw it in the AUR!
But it says...
Last Updated: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 22:45:05 +0000
And they are really close to Beta!
Does it mean that if I install the package from the AUR I won't get any updates? T_T That would be sad.

The AUR package just gives little more than a .desktop file, run script and the Minecraft.jar downloader the full game. The full Minecraft binaries are still stored in ~/.minecraft per user.

▁▂▃▄▅▆▇█▉▊▋▌▍▎▏▏▎▍▌▋▊▉█▇▆▅▄▃▂▁

Board footer