You are not logged in.

#1 2005-05-07 13:20:28

dauphin

pcmcia modem setup

I'm having unexpected difficulties in getting a pcmcia modem to work on my new Dell Inspiron 2200.  The laptop has an internal hsf modem which I managed to get to dial but which refused to negotiate a connection, so I gave up on that and bought a Psion Gold Card 56k pcmcia modem - I had one of these on my previous laptop and it worked fine with Arch, so I was expecting no trouble this time.

I am trying to set up the modem to dial through kppp and I have followed the steps in the wiki (ppp,kppp,2.6 kernel).  As the modem shows up in Windows as Com5, I have created the symlink from /dev/ttyS4 to /dev/modem as advised.  Problem is, whichever device I select in kppp, I always get the response "The modem is busy". 

cardctl ident gives:
product info: "Psion", "Gold Card 56k Combine iT", "56K+Fax", "V8.35"
manfid: 0x016c, 0x0006
function: 2 (serial)

However, I do not see the modem listed by cardmgr when it loads during the boot process, nor do I see it in the output of dmesg (I can't recall whether I should).

I am loading the modules pcmcia, pcmcia_core and ppp_generic through rc.conf, and the pcmcia daemon.

Am I missing anything here?  I'm starting to wonder if this Gold Card is different from my old one and maybe they changed the chipset.

Maybe I should add that I was able to get the supplied internal wireless card (Dell TrueMobile 1370 / Broadcom) running fine with ndiswrapper, but this should not affect the operation of the modem afaiaw?  Despite having the wireless access at home, I do need to have dialup working for when I go travelling.

Thanks for any ideas.

#2 2005-05-08 04:08:10

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: pcmcia modem setup

i have the same modem in a dell - i can't help but i'll be watching this thread as i have yet to get the modem working since i switched to udev

#3 2005-05-08 10:57:33

dauphin

I have fixed this problem.  In /etc/pcmcia/config.opts  there is a line

exclude irq 7

as this is meant to be reserved for the parallel port.  But my laptop doesn't have a parallel port.

I discovered that my pcmcia card was using irq 7 in Windows XP, and after commenting out that line I am able to access the modem.

#4 2005-05-08 11:21:38

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

ah - i'll check that too smile

Board footer