You are not logged in.

#1 2010-10-21 11:10:14

useradded

power management: laptop-mode-tools and pm-utils confusion

There have been a few threads recently that touch on this topic, but I'm still somewhat confused as to how best to use these two tools for power management.

As I understand it, laptop-mode-tools is a set of scripts and config files for controlling various aspects of power saving, while pm-utils started as a tool for managing suspend/hibernate.  However, newer versions of pm-utils have begun to include general power management features that conflict with those of laptop-mode-tools, and respond to the pm-powersave command.

Ideally, I would like to control power management in the following way: Have acpid as the only running daemon (rather than acpid and laptop-mode-tools as I have now), which then calls pm-suspend, pm-hibernate and pm-powersave in the appropriate circumstances. 

The wiki has a brief guide on how to insert pm-powersave as an acpi event; however, it seems to me that pm-utils is not able to replicate all the functions of laptop-mode-tools yet, for example in controlling the eeepc's SHE.

In this thread: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=784969, einhard seems to suggest that its quite a simple process to modify some hooks from laptop-mode-tools to make them work with pm-utils.  I would be eternally grateful if somebody could post an example of how to carry out this modification.  I have very minimal knowledge of bash, which means that I can't get going on my own but I think I could modify the rest of the hooks on my own if I had an example, a template, to guide me. 

Of course if anyone has any other suggestions regarding how best to mix these tools for power management it would be very good to hear them.  I am aware of this thread: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=88011&p=2, in which takedown suggests writing some dummy hooks to pm-utils to prevent any conflict, but I'm not entirely clear about which hooks I should apply this to, i. e. just the hooks in power.d or those in sleep.d, too?

#2 2010-12-17 19:07:44

mordoc

Re: power management: laptop-mode-tools and pm-utils confusion

If I could give this a bump, I have a Dell D630 with both laptop-mode-tools and pm-utils installed (to get hibernate functioning) but now from time to time I have the system hibernate when it should just sleep.

Thanks all in advance!

#3 2010-12-21 22:56:56

useradded

Re: power management: laptop-mode-tools and pm-utils confusion

mordoc, what exactly is the problem your having?

Since I made the original post I have actually succeeded in creating the setup I described, i.e. I have removed laptop-mode-tools and have pm-utils do all suspend, hibernate and power management functions using acpid.  This required adding a very simple custom hook to pm-powersave to deal with all the power-saving functions of laptop-mode-tools that pm-powersave does not (yet) replace OOTB.

Board footer