You are not logged in.

#1 2005-05-06 17:47:08

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

firefox : Habari Xenu, plus Swahili lessons

Ok, if anyone is using an rss aggregator under firefox, check out Habari Xenu... it's really cool.

From their docs, I like this part:

What does the name Habari Xenu mean?
Habari Xenu (also spelled Habari Zenu) is a traditional Kiswahili (commonly and incorrectly called Swahili) greeting. Habari literally means 'news' and Xenu is the plural form of 'your'. Saying Habari Xenu is equivalent to greeting two or more of your friends with a "What's up?".

What is the Kiswahili response to the greeting?
The traditional response to the greeing is Nzuri ('good') or Nzuri sana ('very good'). Kiswahili speakers never respond in the negative to a greeting. If there is a severe drought, your maize crop has been ravaged by swarms of locusts and the prize livestock that you have been saving for a dowry have been eaten by a lion, the worst you can say is Hivi Hivi ('so-so').

#2 2005-05-08 04:18:52

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: firefox : Habari Xenu, plus Swahili lessons

I speak swahili and lived in Tanzania for two years. Kiswahili is called "Swahili" in English, saying that is incorrect is like saying calling Svenska "Swedish" is wrong.

Bloody idiots!

Kiswahili speakers never respond in the negative to a greeting. If there is a severe drought, your maize crop has been ravaged by swarms of locusts and the prize livestock that you have been saving for a dowry have been eaten by a lion

Hmm, guess he never met any locals with bad news then!  When my guard's wife nearly died he certainly didn't hesitite to say so!

Habari Xenu (also spelled Habari Zenu) is a traditional Kiswahili

There is also no X in the swahili alphabet, or Q out of interest!

I mean, for God's sake!  What a total fucking arse head!  Incorrectly corrects people for using "Swahili" then says you can spell their words with a letter not in their alphabet!

#3 2005-05-08 17:07:22

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

nice - maybe you should email the guy....

#4 2005-05-09 03:32:01

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

Yeah, sorry, no offense there, phrak!

#5 2005-05-09 14:39:52

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

dibblethewrecker wrote: