You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-15 18:51:31

mail2tudor

wierd keyboard issue

Hello,
I have a toshiba L670 laptop ( 64 bit arch, intel i5, ati hd 5000 series, 4gb ram ) and for some time now the keyboard has a delay.  So, when I type fast it's like the keys are not recorded by the keyboard ( nothing in dmesg ), so when I am writing a long sentence, like this, I have to type slowly. Some time ago there was an upgrade and this then I have this problem. On the other hand everything works ( it's not about the xset fix, because, as I said, I have this problem with or without X). It's very strange ... anyway I will post any necessary file(s). ( also I installed ubuntu 10.10 but the problem remains ).

#2 2010-12-15 20:35:37

vgr

Re: wierd keyboard issue

I had a similar problem a few years ago.  I had a computer where on Linux my keyboard would lag, however on Windows I'd have no problem.  It wouldn't matter what distro I tried, every Linux variety had this issue.

Turns out, for me, it was a BIOS upgrade that fixed it.  This was a desktop 939 pin motherboard, but it's one of the few times I've seen a BIOS upgrade make a big difference.

I'd check with Toshiba to see if there's a BIOS upgrade available.

#3 2010-12-15 21:18:15

mail2tudor

Thanks for the reply !!!!!
I thought about  BIOS but the keyboard actually worked for a period of time ( on the ubuntu previous to the latest ... don't know the number )

#4 2010-12-19 13:18:49

mail2tudor

Hello again,
Apparently my little problem is of little interest ... well, no matter. I did however found that the keyboard problem was linked somehow to the kernel or the power manager. What i did was to install ubuntu 10.10. At first the problem remained, i updated the system and the problem just went away ( and no, i don't know any more details becouse there are none ). The only big difference between the latest arch and the latest ubuntu is the kernel and the power manager for laptops ( and related stuff ). I know that this fix is non technical, but it works. Also, since I get no error messages on any kind how can I debug the problem ? ( Also !!! since the problem was with and without X then the hypothesis regarding the kernel and the power manager ( and related stuff ) is valid. ) So ... this it.

Board footer