You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-19 18:49:07

nils
Website

nvidia settings, kde, xrandr and multiple monitors

Hi,

I've a lenovo ThinkPad T410 with a nVidia Quadro 3100M GPU, running an actual Archlinux with kde. While using an additional external monitor via displayport some things were not clear to me.

Usually I'm using the notebook without the external monitor, but sometimes I'd like to plug it in and use it. I tried using xrandr to do that, but I'm using the closed nvidia driver which doesn't support xrandr >= 1.1 if I remember correctly (cannot identify the monitors …). That's a pitty, because I would very much like to use KRandrTray, the nice und functional KDE/Qt gui for xrandr.

So I used the nvidia x server configuration gui and chose the twinview mode, that worked quite well. But the first time I bootet my notebook with the external monitor unplugged was a disaster: KDE reactet completely wrong, it forgot the positions of the menu bars (I placed one of them on each monitor screen), everything was wrong, so I had to delete kde settings to make KDE use the default settings.

What's the exact difference between "twinview" and "seperate x screen"? Is there a posibility to plug and unplug the external monitor and control it manually like I would do with xrandr?

Thank you.

Regards,
  Nils

Computer: Lenovo Thinkpad T410 2522W53 Intel Core-i-5 2,40Ghz, 2GB DDR3-RAM, NVIDIA Quadro NVS 3100M

Board footer