You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-18 10:39:45

M_ller
Website

Logitech G35 Headset?

Hi,

I am currently looking for a new computer headset, and was wondering if anyone has any review on Logitech G35 for Linux?
On this site (http://blog.logitech.com/2009/05/06/log … -the-hood/) I found this comment:

I remember you asking a similar question on the original G35 thread, and I remember writing a reply – but clearly I didn\'t actually post it (sorry – brain fade!). Although I have not personally tested the G35 on Linux, I am told that the performance is mixed – and without the Logitech software installed, you would lose the advanced features of the G35 anyway (Dolby Headphone 7.1, voice morphing, mic mute, G button functions, etc..). So unfortunately we can\'t recommend the G35 today as a Linux product.

If any of you guys got the Logitech G35, do you then still recommend it even though it doesn't have these functionalities?
Or can anybody recommend me another headset, mostly used for gaming?

Marcus

#2 2010-12-18 14:11:45

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

Re: Logitech G35 Headset?

I don't have a G35, however from you post and my experience i'd say save some money and buy a plain and simple usb headset. I have a couple of simple (read just headphone + mic) headsets from logitech and they work just fine under linux, however if the "advanced" stuff is all done in software then you either find a version of said software for linux or you are stuck with basic functionality.

That said, the basic functionality will probably work just fine and even the button presses will be detected but without the proprietary software to do all the fancy stuff it will be just an expensive headset.

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#3 2010-12-18 15:33:00

M_ller
Website

R00KIE: Thanks for your comment; what I am mostly interested in is sound quality, noise reduction and of course a relatively good mic.
I currently own a Creative Fatal1ty, and I really miss some better sound quality and noise reduction.

#4 2010-12-18 23:37:06

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

The circumnaural design of the G35 will by itself help in reducing noise somewhat but if you want more you will have to go for something with active noise reduction (the G35 doesn't seem to have that). The sound quality, this one always has a bit of subjectivity attached, what one person likes another may dislike.

Best thing to do is to test it before buying if you can and check if the basic functionality works fine on linux and if you like the frequency response of the headphones (without any software equalizing or changing anything). If you know someone that has one G35 ask to test it for a few hours and see if you find it comfortable, this is a very important aspect and may ruin your experience with it.

R00KIE

#5 2010-12-18 23:48:40

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

I personally can't stand active noise reduction for serious listening, since even the best compensators do affect the music itself. As with all things audio, YMMV. But yes, all those fancy additional things may not work, so testing required (get one from your local music store with a good return policy?)

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#6 2010-12-19 12:38:06

M_ller
Website

Oh well, can anybody recommend a fairly good headset then?

EDIT: The active noise reduction is probably not the necassary, but I don't like the headphones that don't cover your ears completely.

Last edited by M_ller (2010-12-19 15:10:34)

#7 2010-12-20 13:43:03

M_ller
Website

Please correct me if I am wrong, but if I were to buy the G35, it would have a soundcard built in the headphones, therefore it's an USB headset, right?
Wouldn't it be possible to tweak ArchLinux to use 7.1 surround sound?
Like in this case https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=86661 but instead of tweaking the computer soundcard, I'd just use the G35 soundcard?

#8 2010-12-20 13:51:17

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Pulseaudio should be able to at least 5.1 just fine (software mixing). Not sure about its current support for 5.1 though. And not all USB soundcards are well-supported, though most can at least play (my Philiips PSC805 is out-only, no input, but my Cakewalk UA-25ex works in both directions with advanced features in JACK, as a basic card in Pulse).

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#9 2010-12-20 13:53:24

M_ller
Website

ngoonee wrote:

Pulseaudio should be able to at least 5.1 just fine (software mixing). Not sure about its current support for 5.1 though. And not all USB soundcards are well-supported, though most can at least play (my Philiips PSC805 is out-only, no input, but my Cakewalk UA-25ex works in both directions with advanced features in JACK, as a basic card in Pulse).

I just found this:
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?p=33323151

And it seems like he got it working nicely, by doing some directions at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SurroundSound
I guess I am going to give it a shot, and then tweak my ALSA.

#10 2010-12-20 16:00:58

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

M_ller wrote:

Please correct me if I am wrong, but if I were to buy the G35, it would have a soundcard built in the headphones, therefore it's an USB headset, right?
Wouldn't it be possible to tweak ArchLinux to use 7.1 surround sound?
Like in this case https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=86661 but instead of tweaking the computer soundcard, I'd just use the G35 soundcard?

Actually it would not be 7.1, but just 2.0 as you have just two transducers, one for each ear.

As you say it is has an usb soundcard and as such it will probably work just fine (the "simple" functionality I mentioned before). Like I said I have a couple of headsets from logitech (PC Headset 960 USB (extra mute button works fine and vol+/- buttons are detected just fine) and USB headset H330) and being usb they have their own soundcard. The playback quality is acceptable and the recording quality is good, at least for voice calls and for occasional music listening when I'm not at home.

The so called 7.1 logitech claims the G35 will do is actually explained in little detail on their page, it is not a real and proper 7.1 setup (obviously it can't be because you don't have 7+1 transducers). The Windows software will pickup the 7+1 channels, and will do some processing to emulate the frequency response our ears have when sounds come from different locations (front/back location) and add the appropriate delay between ears that arises from sound source location (left/right location), then it will mix it all together and send it to the 2.0 built-in soundcard. The end result is an emulation of a 7.1 setup that might work well for some cases and fail miserably for others.

On the alsa / pulse audio front, I don't know what it will do but most probably it will just downmix 7.1 to 2.0 without doing any of the extra fancy processing that tries to virtually place each channel on the correct place, so you will most probably not get the same results you would get on windows.

On the quality side, from the specs it seems the G35's transducers are not too sensitive, which may actually be a good thing as the noise from the resolution of the DAC or bad supply filtering will not be heard. You will be connecting the headset to a PC, as such any supply voltage, including the usb 5V supply will be full of noise and it might "leak" to the analog audio part of the circuit as the built-in soundcard probably doesn't have much space for proper supply filtering.

Of course this is just my best guess of how it works (or may work), try to check some reviews on headset review sites and see if they have anything on the G35. Again if you are after good sound quality, and considering you plan to use it on linux (where where you don't have the fancy processing software) do check it is actually a good buy.

R00KIE

#11 2010-12-20 16:51:16

M_ller
Website

Update:
I bought it and got it working using asoundconf as explained here:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ad … ound_Cards

The buttons works 100% as well, and I am very pleased. Haven't messed with surround sound yet though.

EDIT:
Obviously I had to make my headset the default soundcard, how would I be able to use both my speakers and my headset at "the same time"?
I want to be able to put my headset on the table and turn on my speakers instead, but without unplugging my headset and messing in Terminal to do that.

Last edited by M_ller (2010-12-20 16:52:30)

#12 2010-12-21 02:14:41

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

In pulseaudio there's module-combine. In Alsa you'd have to stop all sound-generating apps and edit/swap .asoundrc files, afaik.

#13 2010-12-21 06:58:49

M_ller
Website

ngoonee wrote:

In pulseaudio there's module-combine. In Alsa you'd have to stop all sound-generating apps and edit/swap .asoundrc files, afaik.

Would it be possible to use both at the same time?

#14 2010-12-21 08:10:59

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

M_ller wrote:
ngoonee wrote:

Would it be possible to use both at the same time?

Not with your typical hardware. Nor is there a reason to, if you're going to use pulseaudio, just use it and pipe everything through it. Most of the current complaints about it are based on resources consumed (negligable on modern machines, esp with resampling off), not any more with compatibility.

Equally, if you're NOT going to use pulseaudio, go alsa-only all the way.

Board footer