You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-21 13:37:14

wilsaooo

[SOLVED] Fail to boot Arch x86_64 live CD on a HP laptop

Hey, guys, what's up?

Well, here's the thing: I bought a new laptop a couple days ago and I'm kind of having some trouble. Its a HP Pavilion dm4-1063cl (this model: http://www.notebookcheck.info/HP-Pavili … 579.0.html, just in case).

I ran some tests in Windows 7 about the architecture of the processor and it clearly seems that it can support arch x86_64 bits. However, I tried to boot Arch x86_64 by a Net Installation CD and it doesn't work. The process fail in the "Loadin UDEV events" phase, something like that. PS: the i686 image boots perfectly.

Then, I thought that was the CD I burned the reason for trouble - I did not check md5sum and stuff like that. So, I burned another dual image (with boths i686 and x86_64) and tried to run again the 64bits kernel. It did not work in the same phase.

The only response I get is a dark screen that never seems to go away. It was a panic I've never seen before with Arch Linux.

The only alternative I can think right now is trying an older version of the live image CD and see what happens, but it doesn't seem like a very good option. Any ideas? smile

Hope someone of you can help me. Here in Brazil, most of computers we buy come with Windows installed and we don't have quite a chance of not getting - or paying for - it. I'm sure I'll have such a trouble installing dual boot with Arch Linux, but I really miss my Arch Linux...

And, damn, I worked too hard to get a new processor. I really dont wanna use Arch i686 on a pc with x86_64 architecture, it seems like an option, but a dumb one. =p

Cheers,
Wilson.

EDIT: It turns out that tt was not a kernel panic as I thought. The kernel changed the resolution of the display during this fase, and somehow it doesent work.

The trick I used to solve this was adding "nomodeset" to the kernel line in the Live CD booting. Btw, you can do it by selecting the booting option you want in the live CD and pressing TAB. Then, you can edit the kernel line. (:

Last edited by wilsaooo (2010-12-28 06:17:41)

#2 2010-12-21 13:39:20

wilsaooo

Re: [SOLVED] Fail to boot Arch x86_64 live CD on a HP laptop

Another thing I thought looking at the posts on this section of the forum is to install Arch i686 and upgrade it to x86_64. But it seems really not a wise option when I can't even boot Arch x86_64...

#3 2010-12-21 15:48:17

lilsirecho
Veteran

Perhaps the x86_64 CD uses MBR (Windows is there).
Might try having the grub installed to a parttion.

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#4 2010-12-21 17:13:07

wilsaooo

lilsirecho wrote:

Perhaps the x86_64 CD uses MBR (Windows is there).
Might try having the grub installed to a parttion.

Thanks for your reply. I'll check this out.

Also, I will try booting another x86_64 linux distribution. But I'll do it just for checking, I can't imagine myself using another distribution... (:

cheers,
Wilson

#5 2010-12-28 06:07:29

wilsaooo

It turns out that the Arch Linux live CD really works. Because of that, I'm adding "[SOLVED]" to the title of the topic.

The wrong thing is that in the fase that I said it was not booting occurs something interesting: my laptop screen blacks out. I only discovered this after trying to boot with a external monitor linked to my laptop.

By the way, I noticed in my old laptop that after some kernel upgrades the screen resolution changes during the boot - something that did not occur before - in the fase I described. It must be some trouble related to that.

What I don't understand is that the same thing occurs - the resolution change - in the i686 version and it still boots nicely.

Cheers,
Wilson.

#6 2010-12-28 15:12:30

mhertz

When the resolution changes during boot, then it's because KMS is eabled, which among other things sets the console resolution to the native screen resolution.

This seems to be problematic on the x86_64 version, so try to append 'nomodeset' as kernel boot parameter(press tab on the isolinux boot menu entry to add it)

Last edited by mhertz (2010-12-28 15:18:52)

#7 2010-12-28 22:46:35

wilsaooo

mhertz wrote:

When the resolution changes during boot, then it's because KMS is eabled, which among other things sets the console resolution to the native screen resolution.

This seems to be problematic on the x86_64 version, so try to append 'nomodeset' as kernel boot parameter(press tab on the isolinux boot menu entry to add it)

Works perfectly. big_smile
Any another problematic stuff in the x86_64 version? =p

Greetings,
Wilson.

#8 2010-12-29 13:14:32

mhertz

No, I was just refering to your case which "seemed problematic", but not in general smile

Sorry for bad wording!

CU, Martin smile

#9 2011-02-21 19:05:38

wilsaooo

By the way, if someone is looking for information about installing this version of Arch Linux in this same laptop, I wish to say I'm having a couple of troubles. Fan speed goes crazy, the performance isn't that good and each kernel upgrade has a big risk of not booting again.

I did not expected this sort of thing. I'm even using Windows Seven for a while (and it's pretty good! but Arch kicks ass).

cheers,
wilson

#10 2011-02-25 02:12:45

lamegaptop

Resurrecting this post because I may help you or someone else.

HP DM4-1265, Intel Corei5, Intel Graphics.  (Two days old, windoze wiped, Arch installed)

At boot the brightness is, for some unexplained reason, set all the way down to 0 on these intel based DM4 laptops. A few simple <Fn>+<F3> turns the brightness back up.
To solve this I had to put this in rc.local -

echo 6 > /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness

you can enter it manually to test first (as root). Try to turn your brightness up and down with it to make sure it works.

My fan ran like crazy too. HP chose to default a BIOS setting that keeps the fan running constantly. I disabled that and all is well. Fan only comes on when needed and lm_sensors shows my temps, right now, at 43C. Ambient is at 77F right now (I'm in Florida) and this kick butt Arch laptop is, in fact, on my lap.....

Don't give up man.

Don't break the silence unless you can improve upon it.

#11 2011-03-24 04:04:48

wilsaooo

lamegaptop wrote:

Resurrecting this post because I may help you or someone else.

HP DM4-1265, Intel Corei5, Intel Graphics.  (Two days old, windoze wiped, Arch installed)

At boot the brightness is, for some unexplained reason, set all the way down to 0 on these intel based DM4 laptops. A few simple <Fn>+<F3> turns the brightness back up.
To solve this I had to put this in rc.local -

echo 6 > /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness

you can enter it manually to test first (as root). Try to turn your brightness up and down with it to make sure it works.

My fan ran like crazy too. HP chose to default a BIOS setting that keeps the fan running constantly. I disabled that and all is well. Fan only comes on when needed and lm_sensors shows my temps, right now, at 43C. Ambient is at 77F right now (I'm in Florida) and this kick butt Arch laptop is, in fact, on my lap.....

Don't give up man.

First of all: thanks for replying.

I installed manually the "coretemp" kernel modules and lm-sensors now give some different response. The script "sensors-detect" does not find any answer.

Looks like the temperature run in a regular level (50º-60º), which I consider a good sign. However, sometimes when I use arch for 24h+, it shuts down suddenly and does not let me boot my computer again - I believe it is a overheating problem. Happened a couple times, big no big deal.

On the other hand, in Windows 7 I have no trouble at all. The temperature goes around 40º with some daily activities. It worries me out because I used - and I do use - largely and successfully Arch i686 version in crappy notebooks with no heating at all.

I tried some tweaks in the rc.local, but none of them seemed to really work. With cpufreq, I could slow down the processors and maintain a regular temperature. Looks like I can list some of the fans speed in the /sys/ files, but much of them do not seem to have any change at all. Some of them looks like to have some "max_state" set to low values like 1, but most do have a limit like 10.

I will keep trying. If there's anything new, I'll post here big_smile

Cheers,
Wilson

#12 2011-03-24 21:05:07

lamegaptop

Hello again,

A couple of notes on these laptops -

through further testing I discovered it is an ACPI bug causing the video woes. Now, instead of the hack to modify the brightness on boot a simple

acpi_osi=

appended to the kernel line in /boot/grub/menu.lst does the trick. From what I've gathered the scripts check for windows on boot and if it is something else ACPI does not report or modify the video state. Thanks HP! setting it to "nothing", if you will, solves that issue.

On your heat problem, Mine runs at ~40C at idle and has gone to 63C when compiling. I've had no shutdown problems.

There is a bios setting for switching the fan to run constantly (default) or to come on as needed. I've set mine to come on as needed.

Regards,

Don't break the silence unless you can improve upon it.

#13 2011-04-23 02:59:34

wilsaooo

Well, first of all: I talked with a big friend of mine, the one who presented me Arch btw, and he recommended me to use the i686 version instead of the x86.

Well, I thought it was something stupid using the i686 version in a x86 architecture pc, but it really looks like the version is instable and the i686 version limits just some ram using. For this matter, my pc rarely use more than 1,5-2gb memory.

So, I decided to install the i686 version and it is running pretty fine. The temperature still a little bit high than when I use with windows, but I thinks is something I can manage ins these next few days.

Well, thank all of you for your replying. Hope we can help someone in the future and save them some time.

Regards,
Wilson

#14 2011-04-23 03:20:00

the sad clown

I should add that this problem can also occur with i686 architecture as well.  Happened to me a few days ago with an ATI Radeon HD 3450.  The nomodeset solution worked for that as well.

I laugh, yet the joke is on me

#15 2011-04-23 03:35:09

wilsaooo

Well, it looks like after the suggestion of putting "acpi_osi=" in the modeline the temperature really looks normal. It could be a kernel reporting temperature problem, but my pc temperature really looks normal now, around 40-50C big_smile

Thank you really really much.

the sad clown wrote:

I should add that this problem can also occur with i686 architecture as well.  Happened to me a few days ago with an ATI Radeon HD 3450.  The nomodeset solution worked for that as well.

Nice comment. I had trouble in both versions too and forgot to comment. After finding the solution, I think I will go along with the i686 version. I had a good impression of the x86 version, but it seems like much things doesn't work quite well wit.

Also for the record, my mplayer - on the matter of playing video - works like shit in both versions too. VLC works just fine instead.

Greetings,
Wilson.

#16 2011-04-23 15:02:10

wilsaooo

Btw, I solved this trouble I quoted with mplayer adding 2 simple configurations in ~/.mplayer/config:

vo=x11
zoom=yes

Regards,
Wilson.

#17 2011-04-25 04:19:05

wilsaooo

Btw [2], the X server starts with no trouble despite the fact that the "Xorg -configure" command cant create a config file. The system is running under the 'vesa' driver, and as soon I can make it run the 'radeon' driver (which is the correct one, of course)  I'll post how did I do it.

Regards,
Wilson.

#18 2012-01-11 23:51:10

wilsaooo

Couldn't do it so far. I am still running on vesa driver, vga-out works only in some screens.

Now, the pc detects both video drivers, but I stopped trying to make them fully work 'cause vesa is satisfying me so far.

#19 2013-01-20 01:56:35

wilsaooo

By the way, I actually sold that hp dv5 and bought a hp dv7, just posting out some things on behalf of someone who happens to try this model of dv5:

the vesa driver worked well, and I really didn't need that much of video performance in my hp; so, I ran things the way they would, lol, and it was kind of ok.

the heating problem was sort of tricky: I remembered on some kernel update that it really worked fine all for itself, but generally including the line "acpi_osi=" in the kernel line solved the heating problems.

also, I could barely change the display brightness, which bothered me a lot on using my pc at night. on my actual hp, I solved it adding some tricks in openbox and xbacklight and it works like a charm big_smile but with this new laptop, I have the same heating problems, lol; When I tried Ubuntu 12.04 it worked really fine in there. Hope I can find how to do this also in arch linux.

after using arch linux on 2 different hp dv's I conclude they're not the best compatibility, but works kind of well. it worths trying.

cheers,
Wilson

Board footer