You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-22 19:36:03

markbabc

Kernel compiling

Ok so iv heard alot of people saying that to speed up their boot-time they compiled their own kernel. So i was wondering if this was true and why? I was following this from the wiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Kernel_Compilation and im currently running makepkg -s and i thought that the wiki article was missing some things but i might be wrong. So before i go and replace my current working setup i wanted to make sure that the article wasnt missing anything.

#2 2010-12-22 20:42:02

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: Kernel compiling

Firstly - you don't have to - in fact you shouldn't - replace anything. Install your custom kernel alongside the stock one, so that its always available when you mess up.

markbabc wrote:

Ok so iv heard alot of people saying that to speed up their boot time they compiled their own kernel. So i was wondering if this was true and why?

I reckon you should ask them if its true - or rather, ask them to show you it's true by comparing boot times with the stock kernel. I build my own kernels, but not with the intention of decreasing boot time, so I can't comment.

If you believe the related wiki page(s) need some improvement, please go ahead and do it. If you're not sure, use the Talk tab to add some comments and/or use the wiki discussion sub-forum here.

#3 2010-12-22 20:49:41

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

+1 for a custom kernel not booting faster.  Try quick init in the AUR if you want boot up speed.

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#4 2010-12-22 21:08:01

dyscoria

Well in my case, my custom kernel does shave off maybe 4-5 seconds (down from ~20 seconds). I compile modules I need into the kernel and do not require an initrd image.

flack 2.0.6: menu-driven BASH script to easily tag FLAC files (AUR)
knock-once 1.2: BASH script to easily create/send one-time sequences for knockd (forum/AUR)

#5 2010-12-22 21:20:06

markbabc

Ok cool thanks for the replies. @tomk is there any book or website you would suggest for learning more about the linux kernel?

Board footer