You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-22 19:24:30

MattSmith

Strange Grub error 22

I am currently working on a old system with an Atholon Xp 1100, I'm not sure what the mother board is but it's all relatively ancient stuff. I have installed arch successfully before a number of times. I have tried both net and core install, and I'm installing the boot partition first as I have herd old hardware has a problem with that if it's past 1024 cylinders away. I've googled around for similar problems but to no avail. Grub2 doesn't seem to work either with it getting stuck in a rebooting loop. There is only one hard drive with no windows and I am installing grub to the mbr /dev/sda however when going through the arch setup process when install grub there are two instances of /dev/sda ... however installing to either doesn't seem to work. Any advice would be much appreciated thanks!

Last edited by MattSmith (2010-12-22 19:31:13)

A thing of beauty is a joy forever

-John Keats

#2 2010-12-23 01:58:02

MattSmith

Re: Strange Grub error 22

I just tried re installing grub2 with slightly different parameters and I did verify that everything was correct. This is so strange as grub on the cd works without a hitch.

-John Keats

#3 2010-12-23 02:21:57

thisoldman

Just to be certain, you installed, or tried installing, /boot to /dev/sda1 and grub to /dev/sda, correct?

Have you checked what the BIOS is showing for hard drives?

What does 'fdisk -l' return?

#4 2010-12-23 02:56:19

MattSmith

That is correct. BIOS is recognizing the drive ("maxtor") as Primary master. Unfortunately as far as boot deceive goes I get a choice of HDD1, HDD2, HDD3 so I have set the order respectively to make sure the drive is boot of.

I don't have access to the machine atm, but fdisk lists something like:

/dev/sda1 32 meg (boot)
/dev/sda2 8gig (root)
/dev/sda3 2gig (swap)
/dev/sda4 ~48gig (home)

I've done the install many times and have mounted the system and tried chrooting and re installing grub as well. No avail.

-John Keats

#5 2010-12-23 03:10:36

dwidmann

Does grub2 get caught in the loop before it shows the menu, or after you tell it to boot arch? If you can get to the menu, maybe setting it up to use UUID will work. Look here for details on that.

"I refuse to be part of a society that encourages the rampant abuse of its own language." ~ BM

Board footer