You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-23 10:15:29

DarksideEE7

Separate /var resiserfs partition on usb drive won't mount on boot

It has mounted successfully a few times.  I set it up because I don't want /var on my Revodrive, and I've added a label (var) to the partition.  I've tried mounting at first by UUID, then label, then strictly by dev (which isn't an option considering the number of block devices I have attached at any given time).

I have to manually mount var afterward, and this causes all sorts of hal problems with KDE, such as not being able to see my hard drives in Dolphin.

Any ideas?  I have another mechanical HDD that I'm going to be using as a download drive, so I could locate var there if needed.

Here is my daemons array in rc.con:

DAEMONS=(dbus hal network rpcbind nfs-common syslog-ng samba sshd alsa sensors netfs)

and fstab

devpts                 /dev/pts      devpts    defaults            0      0
shm                    /dev/shm      tmpfs     nodev,nosuid        0      0
/dev/mapper/sil_bgbgdjaddicbp1 / ext4 defaults,noatime 0 1
/dev/mapper/sil_bgbgdjaddicbp2 /home ext4 defaults,noatime 0 1
UUID=31061fe9-f3de-40d3-93da-c0fce7ed5014 /boot ext2 defaults 0 0
#UUID=7fb98876-0e33-44b8-90e4-f2a103dd0166 /var reiserfs defaults 0 0
/dev/disk/by-label/var /var reiserfs defaults,noatime 0 0
none    /tmp    tmpfs   nodev,nosuid,noatime,size=1000M,mode=1777       0 0
shm     /dev/shm        tmpfs   nodev,nosuid,size=6G 0 0

Last edited by DarksideEE7 (2010-12-23 10:16:59)

#2 2010-12-23 10:48:29

DarksideEE7

Re: Separate /var resiserfs partition on usb drive won't mount on boot

I resized the 500GB sata drive in order to create a 12 GB reiserfs, set a label var2, then changed fstab to mount it by label.  I guess init doesn't start up usb block devices earlier enough to mount them like that. 

If anyone has a good explanation for this I would like to know, just for the sake of knowledge.  Too often I fix things (or others help) and I never get an actual understanding of why this fixed it.

#3 2010-12-23 12:51:34

stqn
Website

Someone will probably come up with a better solution, and I don't even know if that will fix your problem, but you could try adding "usb" to the beginning to the HOOKS line in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf. I think it is needed to be able to boot from a usb disk. (You'll have to run "mkinitcpio -p kernel26" afterwards.)

#4 2010-12-23 13:13:13

DarksideEE7

stqn wrote:

Someone will probably come up with a better solution, and I don't even know if that will fix your problem, but you could try adding "usb" to the beginning to the HOOKS line in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf. I think it is needed to be able to boot from a usb disk. (You'll have to run "mkinitcpio -p kernel26" afterwards.)

That makes sense.  I actually prefer using the sata drive as /var, but I was just interested as to why it wasn't mounting. 

BTW I have GRUB and boot installed on the same USB drive (from which I boot), then it mounts the root and home partitions on my OCZ Revodrive.  This drive is essentially fakeraid with an sil satalink controller, and I was never able to get grub installed on the dmraid setup.  I just gave up.  It actually works quite well though.

Board footer