You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-21 10:46:05

kikinovak
Website

Panasonic Toughbook falling asleep and never waking up again

Hi,

I recently decided to replace CentOS 5.5 on my Panasonic Toughbook by a fresh install of Arch. Base system is configured OK, same for X11, and the minimal install of KDE4 is also functional. Now I'm working on sanding down the rough edges. First things first.

When I leave the laptop switched on, but unattended, the screen goes black, and there's no way to bring the desktop back. I have to hard-reboot the whole thing. I wonder if there's something missing in my install, but what? A curt pointer to the relevant documentation will do.

Cheers from France

Dyslexics have more fnu.

#2 2010-12-22 18:03:53

steve___

Re: Panasonic Toughbook falling asleep and never waking up again

I have a similar problem when I close the lid.  This started after a recent update.  Does the laptop use the intel chipset?

I am using the:
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82852/855GM Integrated Graphics Device (rev 02)

#3 2010-12-25 10:03:48

kikinovak
Website

Re: Panasonic Toughbook falling asleep and never waking up again

Sorry for the late response, I was stuck in a french airport.

I managed to solve the problem. I have an Intel chipset too. I've been searching the wiki, and found out I had to use KMS to get my board working properly. There are some clearly explained entries on "Intel" and "KMS" in the wiki. I followed the instructions, and now, 3D acceleration as well as the screensaver work well.

Cheers from cold Austria

Dyslexics have more fnu.

Board footer