You are not logged in.

#1 2005-05-09 22:55:02

mgushee
Website

GTK2 apps crashing left & right

Hello, all--

This has got me tearing my hair. Lately I've been having GTK2 apps crash in response to very normal actions. The problem seems to be related to libgnomevfs and/or libxml2, but I have no idea what exactly might be wrong. I've tried google, and found several posts about the problem, but no solutions.

Anyway, some points that should be noted:

* I have two machines running Arch Linux, with *mostly* the same packages installed. The
    crashes happen only on one of them.

* These are not random occurrences. There is a clear pattern of safe actions that never cause
    crashes, and dangerous actions that always cause crashes.

* My system is up to date. I ran pacman -Syu about 1 hour ago.

Anyway, the following is a transcript of what happens with 4 apps: Firefox, Thunderbird, Bluefish, and Epiphany. I show the Arch package versions, and the messages output on startup and when I performed an 'unsafe' action. You'll note that they all put out a symbol lookup error for xmlNewTextReaderFilename.

Thanks in advance for any tips!

BLUEFISH
========

$ pacman -Q bluefish
bluefish 1.0-2

Startup:
--------
bash-3.00$ ERROR while loading icon: Failed to open file '/usr/share/bluefish/icon_php.png': No such file or directory
ERROR while loading icon: Failed to open file '/usr/share/bluefish/icon_html.png': No such file or directory
ERROR while loading icon: Failed to open file '/usr/share/bluefish/icon_python.png': No such file or directory
ERROR while loading icon: Failed to open file '/usr/share/bluefish/icon_c.png': No such file or directory
ERROR while loading icon: Failed to open file '/usr/share/bluefish/icon_java.png': No such file or directory
ERROR while loading icon: Failed to open file '/usr/share/bluefish/icon_image.png': No such file or directory
ERROR while loading icon: Failed to open file '/usr/share/bluefish/icon_image.png': No such file or directory
ERROR while loading icon: Failed to open file '/usr/share/bluefish/icon_java.png': No such file or directory
ERROR while loading icon: Failed to open file '/usr/share/bluefish/icon_xml.png': No such file or directory
ERROR while loading icon: Failed to open file '/usr/share/bluefish/icon_cfml.png': No such file or directory
ERROR while loading icon: Failed to open file '/usr/share/bluefish/icon_pascal.png': No such file or directory
ERROR while loading icon: Failed to open file '/usr/share/bluefish/icon_r.png': No such file or directory

(bluefish:2884): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_new_from_file: assertion `filename != NULL' failed

(bluefish:2884): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_new_from_file: assertion `filename != NULL' failed
the dir_icon and unknown_icon items in the config file are invalid

File -> Open:
-------------
Warning: program compiled against libxml 206 using older 204
bluefish: symbol lookup error: /opt/gnome/lib/libgnomevfs-2.so.0: undefined symbol: xmlNewTextReaderFilename

[1]+  Exit 127                bluefish

EPIPHANY
========

$ pacman -Q epiphany
epiphany 1.6.3-1

Startup:
--------
bash-3.00$ epiphany &
[1] 3600
bash-3.00$ Warning: program compiled against libxml 206 using older 204
Warning: program compiled against libxml 206 using older 204
epiphany: symbol lookup error: epiphany: undefined symbol: xmlNewTextReaderFilename

[1]+  Exit 127                epiphany

FIREFOX
=======

$ pacman -Q mozilla-firefox
mozilla-firefox 1.0.3-1

Startup:
--------
bash-3.00$ firefox &
[1] 3705

Visit www.denverpost.com:
-------------------------
bash-3.00$ /opt/mozilla/lib/firefox-1.0.3/firefox-bin: symbol lookup error: /opt/gnome/lib/libgnomevfs-2.so.0: undefined symbol: xmlNewTextReaderFilename

[1]+  Exit 127                firefox

THUNDERBIRD
===========

$ pacman -Q mozilla-thunderbird
mozilla-thunderbird 1.0-1

Startup:
--------
bash-3.00$ thunderbird &
[1] 3807

Attempted to view a certain message:
------------------------------------
/opt/mozilla/lib/thunderbird-1.0/thunderbird-bin: symbol lookup error: /opt/gnome/lib/libgnomevfs-2.so.0: undefined symbol: xmlNewTextReaderFilename

[1]+  Exit 127                thunderbird

Matt Gushee
Englewood, CO, USA

#2 2005-05-10 04:10:34

Cam
Website

Re: GTK2 apps crashing left & right

I've been having a lot of trouble with nautilus lately. No problem until I reinstalled,  deleted all my .files but it's still an easily reproducable bug. I've searched and found no solution.

Different to yours I know but I thought I'd just add it to the fray wink

#3 2005-05-10 05:38:27

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

I have the same problem with bluefish :? . The missing icons are  installed in /opt/gnome/bluefish but  bluefish looks for them in /usr/share. Strange...

#4 2005-05-10 07:32:07

Blaasvis

mgushee wrote:

Hello, all--

...snap
Attempted to view a certain message:
------------------------------------
/opt/mozilla/lib/thunderbird-1.0/thunderbird-bin: symbol lookup error: /opt/gnome/lib/libgnomevfs-2.so.0: undefined symbol: xmlNewTextReaderFilename

[1]+  Exit 127                thunderbird

Everytime the same unresolved symbol...
Let's google for it. http://xmlsoft.planetmirror.com/html/li … eader.html
hmmm seems that your libxml2 is outdated/broken.... Try reinstalling it, if that doesn't work try rebuilding gnome-vfs

Freedom is what i love

#5 2005-05-10 08:14:12

shadowhand
Website

There are a few packages in Arch that don't upgrade properly, and gdk-pixbuf appears to be one of them, along with libxml2. Try reinstalling both of them, along with gnome-vfs. Follow that with Bluefish and the other apps that don't work, hopefully that will help.

·¬»· i am shadowhand, powered by webfaction

#6 2005-05-10 10:48:28

mgushee
Website

D'OHH!

Note to self: always run ldd before asking about a shared library problem.

I shoulda known: I used to pretend to be an XML consultant, and I also used to run Debian-Woody. So of course at some point I needed a bleeding-edge libxml, so I had to build it myself. So for me the solution was:

# rm /usr/local/lib/*xml*
# ldconfig

Sorry to have wasted everyone's time.

shadowhand wrote:

There are a few packages in Arch that don't upgrade properly,

Strange. What would prevent a package from upgrading properly?

Matt Gushee
Englewood, CO, USA

#7 2005-05-10 15:39:15

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

To make bluefish work, as suggested by shadowhand, I reinstalled  gdk-pixbuf, libxml2 and gnome-vfs. However, I had to rebuild bluefish from abs to make it work.

#8 2005-05-10 15:51:45

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

mgushee wrote:
shadowhand wrote:

There are a few packages in Arch that don't upgrade properly,

Strange. What would prevent a package from upgrading properly?

it's usually something which needs to be run after the install... depmod, ldconfig, scrollkeeper, gconf.... on occasion they're not run (but most of these should be run on boot, so if you hit an odd snag, maybe try rebooting)

Board footer