You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-26 22:34:26

Kenny94

[SOLVED] Arch Linux on notebook HP 6735s

Hi all, i'm new of arch linux, i'm coming from ubuntu.
I would install this distro over my notebook HP 6735s but i can't boot distro from cd and from usb. I have tried both core and netinstall version, but the pc is ever locked at bios screen.
I have done checksum of the downloaded distro and writing control of the burning image, and all is ok, i have also tried to use these 2 bootable supports from other 2 desktop pc and i haven't any problem... only with arch linux + hp 6735s. Other distro like ubuntu, knoppix, mandriva can be booting from external supports without problems.
Do you have any suggestion?
Thanks

Last edited by Kenny94 (2010-12-27 16:44:30)

#2 2010-12-27 08:31:52

moetunes

Re: [SOLVED] Arch Linux on notebook HP 6735s

Have you tried another live cd in that laptop 'cause there's nothing on the net to indicate you should be having any trouble at all and since the Arch cd's boot fine in your desktop it might be hardware. It could even be that booting from cd first isn't enabled in the bios.

You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me.

#3 2010-12-27 13:12:41

brianhanna

I had an HP 6xxx laptop that was very picky about USB booting.  The HP seemed to boot only with smaller capacity sticks (2GB or less).  Not sure if this was some sort of power deficiency on the USB ports?  Once booted it would read larger ones fine but it wouldn't boot from them.  Anyway if you're using a larger one, maybe try using a 1 or 2GB stick instead.

A CD should work as long as it's the first boot device but if it's working in another machine and not that one, it would point to a problem with the drive.

Last edited by brianhanna (2010-12-27 13:31:45)

#4 2010-12-27 14:22:59

Kenny94

I have tried other live cd: mandirva, ubuntu, knoppix. My actual OS ubuntu was installed by cd and i hadn't any problem....
I don't understand why only with arch i have this problem. The boot priority is set to CD -> usb -> HD i have tried also CD -> HD and usb -> HD but nothing change.
I will try to use a small usb if i find one.... this thing is very annoying.

Conclusion:
- Supports are ok
- Iso are correctly burned
- Bios appear to work well with all other installation cd's
- CD device work fine also on read and write

I don't understand what's wrong

#5 2010-12-27 14:55:34

brianhanna

It sounds like you've tried other Live CDs in the HP and they work.  It also sounds like you've tried your Arch CD in your desktop machine and it works. 

If that's the case, the next thing I'd try is burning your Arch image to a different type/brand of CD.  If you're using a CD-RW, try using a CD-R.  If you're using a cheap CD-R, try a better quality one.  Your laptop CD drive may just not be able to read marginal quality CDs while your desktop CD drive can.  I don't think this is an Arch problem.  More likely a hardware quirk.

#6 2010-12-27 16:24:41

Kenny94

Thanks for the help.
Well i have tried to burn again the iso with a tdk and verbatim cds, slow burning speed (8x) and checked writing data, but the problem persist. I have notice that the caps lock key led blinking 5 time when i have the cd or the usb with arch linux inserted, this blinking would be mean a "general system board failure", in easy wa: unknow a reason xD
But this situation appear only with supports with arch, maybe an incompatibility between bios and arch.

#7 2010-12-27 16:43:57

Kenny94

I have tried a magic number and now works big_smile
I have booted notebook without cd, i pressed f9 for boot menu, i ejected cd cart and inserted arch cd's, selected the option to boot from "dock upgrate bay" and i pushed the cd cart inside fast... it booted correctly LoL

Board footer