You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-27 06:41:25

upsidaisium
Website

Temperature not correct, doesn't change

My laptop is having temperature problems, and I'm not sure what the cause of the problems might be - hopefully somebody here can provide some guidance!

The temperature doesn't seem to change when I check it (using 'acpi -t'), and it can be quite random. For example, I'll turn on my laptop for the first time in the morning (having left it off all night), and when it boots up the fan will be really loud and once I login I'll check the temperature and it'll say 75.0 degrees C. Obviously that can't be correct; and if I reboot the temperature will change to something more realistic (30-something degrees C) and the fan will adjust accordingly. But, as I said before, the temperature doesn't change after that while the machine continues to run. So I'm afraid that the temperature is actually going up, but the fan isn't doing anything to compensate.

Any tips on what might be wrong here? Thanks.

I've seen young people waste their time reading books about sensitive vampires. It's kinda sad. But you say it's not the end of the world... Well, maybe it is!

#2 2010-12-27 15:35:45

Leonid.I

Re: Temperature not correct, doesn't change

BIOS or hardware

Arch Linux is more than just GNU/Linux -- it's an adventure
pkill -9 systemd

#3 2010-12-27 15:42:02

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Try installing lmsensors and running sensors-detect.

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#4 2010-12-28 03:07:36

upsidaisium
Website

I've setup the sensors daemon, and this is what it tells me:

> sensors
acpitz-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1:       +37.0°C  (crit = +95.0°C)                  

coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Core 0:      +42.0°C  (crit = +90.0°C)                  

> 

So that first one is what I'm getting from 'acpi -t' (the temperature that never changes), and the second is (I guess?) what the temperature really is. So.. is everything hunky dory?

I've seen young people waste their time reading books about sensitive vampires. It's kinda sad. But you say it's not the end of the world... Well, maybe it is!

Board footer