You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-11 18:11:52

Maximalminimalist

no sound in multimedia playback after update (xine,vlc,mplayer)

Hi!

For some days now I don't have sound anymore in amarok and vlc. Since the sound works on e.g. youtube I don't know how to find the root of the problem and of course not the solution. In amarok my sound card doesn't show up any more. I'm using ALSA. "aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav" doesn't give any output. (I don't know if it matters.)

I already spent time in searching (googling) by myself without success. Can anyone give me a hint?

Thanks in advance,

Maximalminimalist

Last edited by Maximalminimalist (2010-12-14 20:05:41)

#2 2010-12-11 19:07:06

Ultraman

Re: no sound in multimedia playback after update (xine,vlc,mplayer)

What vitals did you check? What DE/WM are you running? KDE by any chance?
Did you check the mixer? Anything muted there? Probably not, but worth a check.
Have you blacklisted the snd-pcm-oss module to prevent some app using OSS instead of ALSA and claiming the soundcard that way? (rc.conf -> MODULES=(!snd-pcm-oss) )

If you are running KDE: Have you checked Phonon's settings? Does it recognize any backend (e.g. Xine, Gstreamer)? What about sound hardware?

Tried starting VLC and Amarok from a terminal and looked at the output they send to it? Perhaps any error messages among them?

#3 2010-12-12 03:50:13

Maximalminimalist

Ultraman wrote:

What vitals did you check? What DE/WM are you running? KDE by any chance?

I'm using i3. (tiling WM)

Ultraman wrote:

Did you check the mixer? Anything muted there? Probably not, but worth a check.

Alsamixer should be fine. (Sound works on youtube anyway.)

Ultraman wrote:

Have you blacklisted the snd-pcm-oss module to prevent some app using OSS instead of ALSA and claiming the soundcard that way? (rc.conf -> MODULES=(!snd-pcm-oss) )

No, I even had it in the modules but the "!" makes no difference.

Ultraman wrote:

If you are running KDE: Have you checked Phonon's settings? Does it recognize any backend (e.g. Xine, Gstreamer)? What about sound hardware?

I'm not using KDE but amarok recognises xine.

Ultraman wrote:

Tried starting VLC and Amarok from a terminal and looked at the output they send to it? Perhaps any error messages among them?

When I start VLC from terminal I get this:

vlc Weird\ Al\ Yankovic\ -\ White\ And\ Nerdy\ \[HQ\].avi 
VLC media player 1.1.5 The Luggage (revision exported)
Blocked: call to unsetenv("DBUS_ACTIVATION_ADDRESS")
Blocked: call to unsetenv("DBUS_ACTIVATION_BUS_TYPE")
Blocked: call to setlocale(6, "")
Blocked: call to sigaction(17, 0x7fec095fbac0, 0x7fec095fbb60)
Blocked: call to setlocale(6, "")
frame skip 8
frame skip 8

When I tell vlc to use alsa. (Which wasn't necessary before.) I get this as a "pop-up error":

Potential ALSA version problem:
VLC failed to initialize your sound output device (if any).
Please update alsa-lib to version 1.0.23-2-g8d80d5f or higher to try to fix this issue.

But pacman tells me:

pacman -Qs alsa-lib
local/alsa-lib 1.0.23-2
    An alternative implementation of Linux sound support
local/lib32-alsa-lib 1.0.23-4
    An alternative implementation of Linux sound support (32 bit)

EDIT: I just tried KDE. (I have it installed but don't use it.) Everything is weird. I can't press anything right with the mouse because everything is mirror inverted and some zones are covered with a weird mix of pixels...fact is KDE doesn't work fine on my computer right now.

Last edited by Maximalminimalist (2010-12-12 04:01:53)

#4 2010-12-19 14:50:10

jarrett

I'm having the same problem right now with multimedia in KDE.
Sound on youtube and spotify works etc.. but not the system sounds for example.

Did you ever get this fixed?

EDIT: I got it working again after reinstalling the gstreamer backend.

Last edited by jarrett (2010-12-19 14:56:48)

#5 2010-12-20 21:47:45

Maximalminimalist

I didn't got it fixed yet. I just installed phonon-gstreamer. I didn't had it yet. (I had sound everywhere I wanted before the update.)

I'm happy for you having fixed that. Do you have any other ideas where the problem might be?

#6 2010-12-23 20:08:53

sultanoswing

Not sure it's related, but I get no sound on any other apps (vlc, mplayer, flash etc) if amarok is running (even if it's not playing). Have to quit amarok to free up the sound card for any other apps.

I use gnome and alsa, with an on-board VIA 8128S. In my situation I've tweaked .asoundrc so the card will output to S/PDIF and analog simultaneously, which could be part of the problem in my setup, since the SPDIF will still output when amarok is open (in other words amarok is only 'stealing' the analog signal. I've got amarok running using phonon-gstreamer backend, and 'default' as the soundcard.

I've always assumed this was some problem running a kde app on gnome and haven't really been bothered to find a solution, since a) quitting amarok resolves the problem and; b) trying other solutions such as phonon-xine and pulseaudio don't allow simultaneous output to S/PDIF and analog.

I hope you find a solution!

6.5.3.arch1-1(x86_64) w/Gnome 44.4
Arch on: ASUS Pro-PRIME x470, AMD 5800X3D, AMD 6800XT, 32GB, | Intel NUC 7i5RYK | ASUS ux303ua | Surface Laptop

#7 2010-12-24 16:32:15

Maximalminimalist

I don't get sound from the browser when amarok is on. (If it's off I do.) So I also have this problem. But I even don't get sound from any media player whatever else is opened. I'll try to understand what you did with your output. wink

#8 2010-12-28 22:52:59

Maximalminimalist

I still get no sound. I realized that even aplay doesn't give me any output.

aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: M2496 [M Audio Audiophile 24/96], device 0: ICE1712 multi [ICE1712 multi]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

When I open a web browser in the console and open a video on youtube I get sound output and this:

ALSA lib pcm.c:2171:(snd_pcm_open_conf) Cannot open shared library /usr/lib32/alsa-lib/libasound_module_pcm_pulse.so

I also saw that the /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf has to be configured differently (since some update?), but this didn't seem to make any difference

1 #
2 # /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf (for v2.6 kernels)
3 #
4 options snd slots=snd-ice1712
5 blacklist nvidia

I also ran alsaconf but still no result... sad

EDIT: Is it possible to run some bowser in some verbose mode to find out how flash is managing to output sound?

Last edited by Maximalminimalist (2010-12-28 22:54:54)

Board footer