You are not logged in.

#1 2003-10-25 12:10:43

Pyke

Conflicting paths in gtk and gnome

Hi,

I've been messing around with my newly installed Arch system and I've noticed the following. Judging from a posting from late 2002 I'm not the first one to have noticed this but I'd like to hear what you Archers think of it: :-)

Gnome and gtk2 use different locations for themes and engines: gtk uses /usr/lib/gtk-2.0 while Gnome uses /opt/gnome/lib/gtk-2.0. Since a lot of the engines for gtk2 comes with the gnome-themes package, hence are installed in the /opt/gnome/.... path, gtk2 will complain about not knowing the engines when switching to e.g. the Gorilla theme. I've solved it simply by copying all the Gnome supplied engines to the gtk path, but that's only a temporary solution.

Does anyone know if the gnome/gtk folks are working to resolve this conflict or are Arch folks trying to solve it by building the packages differently?

/Pyke

#2 2003-10-25 13:15:40

RdsArts

Re: Conflicting paths in gtk and gnome

This is a problem I ran into recently as well. Unfortunately, there are a lot of things in the GNOME packages that make too many assumptions. For example, try installing Nautilus all by it's lonesome, and watch it do horrible, unspeakable, ungodly things.

I've been spending the last 3 days pouring throught the GNOME packages, and I've just filed a bug on gnome-themes and gnome-themes-extras, and included links to patches which get these working, here

Board footer