You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-11 09:56:03

spaceturnip

[SOLVED] Can't get epson Perfection V500 working with xsane/iscan

SOLVED

Cool, solved my own problem.  Nothing in the docs about what needs to be done, maybe on the distros that avasys supports this is done automatically by the install scripts.  Poking around I found a utility with iscan called iscan-registry.  A little googling found that this needs to be used to tell iscan where to find the plugin/firmware for a particular scanner.  In the case of my particular scanner you need to run:

iscan-registry -a interpreter usb 0x04b8 0x0130 /usr/lib/iscan/libesint7C /usr/share/iscan/esfw7C.bin

Now working like a champ.  Yay now I don't need to install Debian big_smile

Did a search of the forums hoping to find something similar to my problem, but I'm not seeing anything.  I've gotten a Epson Perfection Photo V500 scanner which the sane website will work if you download the backend and firmware from the avasys site. 

I've built iscan using the pkgbuild in AUR, and extracted the firmware from the rpm on the avasys site.  sane-find-scanner finds the scanner, but scanimage -L and iscan both fail to detect it.

I'm part of the scanner group, but I don't think this is a permissions issue as even as root, scanimage -L and iscan still cannot find the scanner.

Thought maybe it was a configuration issue, but I've added the vendor and product IDs and a firmware line with the path to the firmware file to /etc/sane.d/epkowa.conf and this didn't help at all.  It just made things fail slower.  I don't think any tweaks to the config are required though as nothing needs to be done to get this scanner working in debian/ubuntu, just installing the debs is enough, and the configs put in by those don't look too different from the arch ones.

Interestingly enough, vue-scan also requires the firmware/drivers from avasys to work with this scanner and I'm able to scan with it no problem.

At the moment is seems as though my options are installing vue-scan or setting up a PC with debian, which is the one I'm leaning towards at the moment as I'd like to see if Iscan/xsane can do what I need before shelling out for vue-scan.  But I'd really like to keep arch but be able to use my scanner.

This is my first time using a scanner on Liunx so it could be I'm missing something obvious.  Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited by spaceturnip (2009-08-11 14:17:09)

#2 2011-01-01 20:11:04

TWILisawesome

Re: [SOLVED] Can't get epson Perfection V500 working with xsane/iscan

Can I have a link to where you found this 'iscan-registry' package?  I need it too.

EDIT: Never Mind, forgot to finish installing iscan tongue   I only installed the iscan-data.

Last edited by TWILisawesome (2011-01-01 20:34:41)

Board footer