You are not logged in.

#26 2005-05-11 19:15:16

nahoj

Re: [Done] Win4Lin Pro

Well, finally it stopped. After 21 hours it reached the point of reboot in windows and the wonderful message came up:

The file WINDOWSSYSTEM32CONFIGSYSTEM is missing or corrupt. Can't start windows. Try to reinstall windows and choose -R at the first page.

In win4lin one can not restart installwinpro (ie the installationprogram) since it will see that it is allready installed. I suppose one needs to delete the GUEST.IMG file and restart - but that is the end for WinXP and win4lin on this machine! But the very reason for me to struggle was to get THIS machine to work with windows so that I could have the booking software installed here... Maybe I should make a new try with qemu and win98. Probably this computer is too old for win4linpro and xp.

(That is the thing I like the least with win4lin. I bought win4lin 4.0 but at the time I used suse and I didn't manage to patch the kernel som I never managed to get it installed. Then I moved to arch and found that here there were no problem to get a prepatched kernel. But now I had 2.6 kernels and then win4lin 4.0 didn't work. One needed 5.0 for 2.6 kernels. Well, in pached, I installed and everything looked nice, until I found out that I needed to buy a new license. At that time I didn't want to spend the money. And then win4lin pro came and I thought that this would be nice - but after I bought it I found that I had to use w2k! It wasn't possible to use win98 any more. Well I have a copy of xp so when the update came i gave it a try and it works if the computer is fast enough and not too old.)

There is a file in the directory $HOME/winpro that is called settings.locale

There one can assign extra memory and disable audio (which makes it work faster)
MRGPRO_WINDOWS_RAMSIZE=512
#min=64 max=512
MRGPRO_DISABLE_AUDIO="yes"

I will try these settings and see if it makes it work faster...

Computers never saves time - but they help you produce more in the same timespan...

#27 2005-05-11 20:38:59

nahoj1976

Be careful assigning memory!

I assigned 256 mb memory for win4lin and the result was that not only the windows-session was extremly slow but the whole computer was! It was like returning to windows 3.11 on a 286!

Next try will be to test Kqemu accelerator to see if that makes it faster.

Anyone that have done that?

:?

Just a citation from Win4Lin homepage:
---
Latest News:

Win4Lin Pro™ Updated for Full Windows XP Support and Blazing Fast Performance
---
I wonder what they are used to concerning speed?  I mean in comparison when talking about Blazing fast ...  tongue

#28 2005-05-12 03:07:30

Stinky

soloport wrote:

2) If I've built Arch using an AMD mobo (Duron) and switch the HDD to run on an Intel mobo (P4), will it just work?

Yep.  A few months ago, I moved a hdd with Arch on it that was first installed in an AMD 2100 to a PIII.   Put the correct modules in for the new system...Worked like a champ.

#29 2005-05-12 07:41:51

IceRAM
Website

I did the same thing, but from a P3 to a P4.
I dropped my custom built kernel, changed all the module names, even changed partition locations (new HDD -> more space, other partition setup) and it all worked.

I don't want to know if a Windows could stand such a change.

#30 2005-05-12 14:07:58

Stinky

I'll answer that.  A windows install cannot stand anything close to such a change.  I tried it a while back.  P4 to P4.  Just a different model of Mobo.  Same brand even.  It would boot about half way up and blue screen.  Over and over......Window$ makes my head hurt....

#31 2005-05-16 13:15:59

vipernicus
Website

If macromedia would make a shockwave plugin for linux, i wouldn't have to use crossover.

Board footer