You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-31 19:10:37

llawwehttam

[SOLVED]Openbox + Nvidia Twinview - Can't enable second monitor.

I have just left gnome for openbox and am loving it. I have had very few issues so far, none of which a quick google couldn't fix. However I have hit a brick wall with this.

I have a monitor that I share between two machines and I only enable it when I need it.

I used to do this with the nvidia settings manager in gnome as I could just select the second monitor and enable it using twinview. However if I do that with openbox the screen garbles and even after the timout ends the screen does not revert so I have to go to a tty and restart X.

I have noticed when the screen garbles that I can see a bit of the slim default login page...... but I don't know if that's relevant.

I have tried this with and without cairocompmgr enabled.

Has anyone got any ideas?

Last edited by llawwehttam (2011-01-02 02:40:19)

#2 2010-12-31 19:28:03

SS4

Re: [SOLVED]Openbox + Nvidia Twinview - Can't enable second monitor.

Have you tried using lxrandr to add the other monitor?

Rauchen verboten

#3 2010-12-31 21:32:40

BurntSushi
Website

If he's using nvidia, xrandr probably isn't going to be of much use. (Unfortunately... :-()

Check out disper. It's in the AUR. Connect your second monitor and run:

disper -l

It should list all attached monitors. You can enable both like so:

disper -d MON-1,MON-2 -t "left" -e

Change "MON-1" and "MON-2" to correspond to the names of the monitors output in the first command, and modify the other options as you see fit. The disper --help should be fairly straight-forward.

Last edited by BurntSushi (2010-12-31 21:33:01)

Education is favorable to liberty. Freedom can exist only in a society of knowledge. Without learning, men are incapable of knowing their rights, and where learning is confined to a few people, liberty can be neither equal nor universal.

Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

#4 2011-01-02 02:39:54

llawwehttam

BurntSushi wrote:

If he's using nvidia, xrandr probably isn't going to be of much use. (Unfortunately... :-()

Check out disper. It's in the AUR. Connect your second monitor and run:

disper -l

It should list all attached monitors. You can enable both like so:

disper -d MON-1,MON-2 -t "left" -e

Change "MON-1" and "MON-2" to correspond to the names of the monitors output in the first command, and modify the other options as you see fit. The disper --help should be fairly straight-forward.

Great program there mate. I'll use that in future.

Sadly it didn't fix the issue and has the same problems as the Nvidia Xserver settings tool.

The second it enables the second monitor the display garbles, a bit when you get a non responsive window and when you drag it about it leaves trails on the screen.

However the mouse is still active and non-distorted and when I move it over an area on the screen (which is completely distorted) where a terminal is the cursor changes to the insert cursor as normal......... except everything is distorted.

But......... I found the cause of the problem.

Its not openbox being fussy. I am using cairo-compmgr and it doesn't like resizing. I disabled it, resized and its now working a treat!

Thanks for the help anyway, and that's a very useful tool BurntSushi, thanks.

Board footer