You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-31 04:06:57

alleyoopster

[SOLVED] Hard Disk Spin down on resume

I often forget to turn the power on when I resume laptop and switch it on afterwards. I notice that the HDD will carry on spinning down as if it is still on battery power (pm-utils I think). I am not running laptop-mode-tools and have tried with and without acpid. HAL is starting in daemons along with powernowd. Is this a bug or do I need to configure pm-utils somehow to monitor the power coming back?

Last edited by alleyoopster (2011-01-02 03:30:25)

#2 2010-12-31 05:53:54

MadTux

Re: [SOLVED] Hard Disk Spin down on resume

Maybe the hdd has its own power management features, which do not notice that the power is back. I know that laptop-mode-tools does monitor the power states and applies the appropriate profile but I don't think that pm-utils is designed to do that. Is there a particular reason for not using laptop-mode-tools?

#3 2010-12-31 08:12:03

alleyoopster

That makes some sense. No reason for not using laptop-mode-tools, I just had it down for an extra daemon I didn't really need

#4 2010-12-31 11:04:10

useradded

MadTux wrote:

I know that laptop-mode-tools does monitor the power states and applies the appropriate profile but I don't think that pm-utils is designed to do that. Is there a particular reason for not using laptop-mode-tools?

Actually, pm-utils' pm-powersave does do this, although it is not yet (OOTB) as complete a power management tool as laptop-mode-tools.  It has hooks in /usr/lib/pm-utils/power.d that alter settings dependent on AC\battery power.  It is possible to add hooks of your own to /etc/pm/power.d.

The power management section of the pm-utils wiki entry briefly describes how to link pm-powersave to acpid to have it respond automatically to changes in power state.

Using this kind of setup, I use pm-utils for both suspend/hibernate and power management.

#5 2010-12-31 13:31:05

alleyoopster

Here are my entries as per wiki
File: /etc/acpi/events/ac

event=ac_adapter.*
action=/etc/acpi/actions/ac.sh %e

and
File: /etc/acpi/actions/ac.sh

#!/bin/sh
case "$4" in
*0) /usr/sbin/pm-powersave true;;
*1) /usr/sbin/pm-powersave false;;
esac

Manually running pm-powersave true / false works a treat and switches as expected.

I had to not only disabled laptop-tools but also had to remove it (and config) it to prevent event errors in log, but I am still not getting the event to trigger pm-powersave. This is what is happening when I unplug and plug AC

Dec 31 15:28:26 bella logger: ACPI group/action undefined: processor / CPU0
Dec 31 15:28:26 bella logger: ACPI action undefined: ACAD
Dec 31 15:28:26 bella logger: ACPI group/action undefined: processor / CPU0
Dec 31 15:28:26 bella logger: ACPI action undefined: ACAD

#6 2011-01-02 03:30:00

alleyoopster

I tested this morning and found it working now using acpi settings above and pm-powersave without laptop-mode-tools

thanks for you help and Happy New Year

Board footer