You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-01 07:14:48

kapz
Website

Xfce:-No uniform theme and no menueditor

Hi,

I recently installed Arch with XFCE. I am facing two problems with DE:

1> I have selected 'Xfce-dusk' as my default theme, however it does not apply on apps like VLC, VirtualBox, smplayer etc, whereas GIMP obeys it. How can I fix that?
2> I have a few applications installed like VirtualBox Mplayer which won't show in Xfce menu. I've read on xfce.org that menu can be edited by xfce4-menueditor, but it's not installed on system, nor I can find it in repos or AUR..how can I fix it?

Many Thanks.

I wonder how it would be like to use the rest 99% of my brain..:P

Registered Linux User: 487155

#2 2011-01-01 13:11:08

Gullible Jones

Re: Xfce:-No uniform theme and no menueditor

For the GTK theme: run 'qtconfig' and select "GTK" from the "Select GUI Style" menu.

For the applications: not sure, but I think you can edit the Xfce menu by right-clicking on the menu button and selecting "Edit menu"

#3 2011-01-01 13:24:26

stqn
Website

1) These use the Qt interface toolkit and not GTK. As Gullible Jones said, you can change their theme using qtconfig; however selecting "Gtk+" in there has never worked for me. I get "QGtkStyle was unable to detect the current GTK+ theme." in the shell.

2) You can go to /usr/share/applications/, copy an existing .desktop file and edit it to launch what you want... AFAIK there is no menu editor for Xfce 4.6 and they've added support for that in 4.8.

Edit: by the way, I have a slightly modified gtkrc for Xfce-dusk to improve on a few things:
- More readable and better looking text for stopped torrents in Transmission.
- More visible scrollbars and checkboxes in menues.
- More visible links (no more dark blue.)
- Less text contrast (no more pure white.)

You can get it here: http://arch.pastebin.com/D110ntQh
If some changes are not to your taste just do a diff with the original to see what I have changed and fix it smile.

Last edited by stqn (2011-01-01 13:41:49)

#4 2011-01-02 04:40:11

kapz
Website

Thanks guys.. smile
qtconfig did the trick, however just selecting gtk+ didn't help, but there was a background colour chooser, I've managed to make qt apps look somewhat similar to the original theme.

Yep will edit file by hand to add, but I think xfce should detect all software and put them..well somewhere!
Strange thing is that xfce ppl suggest to use xfce-menueditor, that too with screenshots.

I wonder how it would be like to use the rest 99% of my brain..:P

Registered Linux User: 487155

Board footer