You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-02 14:12:14

JHeaton

PulseAudio: No sound in Openbox, but fine in GNOME

Hi all, I'd been meaning to get round to doing this for a while, but only today have I actually installed PulseAudio on this computer. I've installed the following packages:

pulseaudio
paprefs
pavucontrol
pulseaudio-alsa
ossp

Following the guide in the Wiki, I started PA with "pulseaudio --start" in Openbox, but had no audio. I also tried "start-pulseaudio-x11", but that didn't work either. ALSA is stopped, the config files look right as far as PulseAudio's information and the Arch Wiki say, but I can get no sound. In pavucontrol, the output profile is set to "Analog Stereo Output" which is fine. I found this out by launching a GNOME session, in which all audio works correctly. In Openbox, it shows the volume levels fluctuating, so the audio is getting that far, just not out as far as me. So my question is, since I did no other special configuration to get it to work with GNOME, why does it work within GNOME? hmm

I launch both Openbox and GNOME in the same way from .xinitrc:

#exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch openbox-session
exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch gnome-session

So I don't see it as being related to that, personally. I'm quite confused, because I'm looking at a list of processes running at the moment in GNOME and I'm not really sure which of those may be the thing needed to run it. Additionally, after exiting GNOME and relaunching Openbox, audio works; just not if I start that session first. Any help with tracking down the source of this issue will be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Joel.

Edit: This might be solved now. I had to install gnome-media-pulse and use the GNOME volume control to unmute sounds, even though everything else showed as being unmuted. I'll see how things go from here on, though.

Last edited by JHeaton (2011-01-03 19:18:27)

Board footer