You are not logged in.

#1 2005-05-12 20:47:22

bostoniman
Website

KDE 3.4 with ndiswrapper

When I installed KDE 3.4 in March, it seemed to acquire a lot of problems related to ndiswrapper that 3.3 didn't have.  Many internet applications freeze, and a few multimedia apps freeze too.  The applications that freeze most often are gaim, amaroK, and firefox (only when you try to access the save or open dialogs, or open a page with a Java applet).  Also, using Konqueror to look at anything on the local disk makes Konqueror freeze, but you can use it fine as an Internet browser, with the same constraints as firefox.  Does anybody else have these kinds of problems, or know how to fix them?

#2 2005-05-12 21:39:05

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Re: KDE 3.4 with ndiswrapper

ok, there's alot of stuff going on here:
kde and ndiswrapper are entirely unrelated.  if your network is causing issues it's due to ndiswrapper... what version are you running?
with firefox freezing when you do the open/save dialogs, that's something different - it's related to libgnomeui.... it happened to me.  The solution was to remove your entire ~/.mozilla folder (you can backup the bookmarks.html file if you like) and startup firefox.

firefox freezing with java applets, that's something different... wait it out... it can take upwards of 3 minutes to make a java applet work (I dunno why).

as for gaim freezing, when does it freeze and how often? same question with amarok.

because it freezes, there's probably no error log, so the next best thing would be for you to figure out what causes it to freeze (yeah it's tedious)... once you can reproduce it then it'd be easier to track down...

#3 2005-05-12 23:11:45

bostoniman
Website

Ok, first the version of ndiswrapper.  I'm using version 1.1, with a Ralink Rt2500 built-in card.  As I said, it worked fine with KDE 3.3, using the same version of ndiswrapper.

I will try removing the ~/.mozilla directory to see if that helps.  As far as the Java applet issue goes, I do know that it can take applets a while to load, but the little spinning dots graphic in the upper right corner of firefox stops, and the browser stops responding.  I've let it sit for as much as 10 minutes, with no result.

Gaim freezes in one of two cases: either after it's been running for about 2 or 3 minutes, or if you switch desktops for a few seconds, whichever comes first.  Amarok freezes only once you enably a network connection and then try to use it.  If it's already open before the network is brought up, then it stops responding once you go back to it, although it will open fine.  If the network is up first, then it will take about 3 minutes for it to open, and it will immediately freeze once it does finally open.

I've narrowed the issue down to a network problem, but I haven't really tested to see if it happens when I use ethernet instead.  However, my system functions completely normally until I bring up the network.

#4 2005-05-13 00:50:31

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

#5 2005-05-13 01:49:45

bostoniman
Website

Do you know of a good HOWTO for Arch for this driver?  I see many for other distros, but they don't to be quite right for an Arch system.

#6 2005-05-13 05:41:56

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

just follow the normal build instructions and use ABS (read the wiki about makepkg and ABS)

Board footer