You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-04 15:20:27

~TwistedTruth

Bluetooth USB dongle completely undetected

I bought a cheap usb dongle from poundland yesterday. The name on the package says LIVEWIRE bluetooth usb dongle.
Ive searched google and found a couple posts from other people saying they got it to work on windows 7. Ive not tried it on any other machine yet other than this one.

Im using i686 arch. No Bluetooth hardware except this dongle. I have bluez installed.

The problem is the hardware is completely undetected. Ive searched the whole of /dev for any changes when plugging and unplugging it and no changes occur. dmesg says nothing about it. lsusb says nothing about it. hcitool doesnt find it. usb-devices says nothing.

I'm out of ideas what to do really. I cant find anymore posts on google nor on this forum that help me.

Sorry to make yet another bluetooth post.
Any ideas?

#2 2011-01-04 16:44:20

lagagnon
Website

Re: Bluetooth USB dongle completely undetected

Remove the dongle, open a terminal and type: "sudo tail -f /var/log/messages.log". Insert the dongle and show us the output of the log...

If there is nothing whatsoever then I suspect the dongle is faulty.

Philosophy is looking for a black cat in a dark room. Metaphysics is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there. Religion is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there and shouting "I found it!". Science is looking for a black cat in a dark room with a flashlight.

#3 2011-01-04 16:47:12

Ramses de Norre

If the device is working, the kernel should detect a new device on its usb bus. If that is not happening, I'd test the thing on a windows pc or something to be sure that it's not broken.

#4 2011-01-04 17:06:10

~TwistedTruth

There is no output of change whatsoever from sudo tail -f /var/log/messages.log after unplugging it and plugging it back in. I suspect its faulty too, it was only 1 pound (gbp). I'll try it in a windows machine next time im at a house with one and see what happens. I think ill just buy one that costs more if i need one, i just got this bcos it was so cheap. thanks.

#5 2011-01-04 18:35:08

lagagnon
Website

"You get what you pay for" and/or "Buyer Beware" come to mind ;-)
Hope you can find one that works for not too much money...

Philosophy is looking for a black cat in a dark room. Metaphysics is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there. Religion is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there and shouting "I found it!". Science is looking for a black cat in a dark room with a flashlight.

Board footer