You are not logged in.

#1 2005-05-12 17:26:57

viniosity
Website

Devs?

I really like using Arch Linux but I don't seem to have any idea as to the direction is will be heading.  Unlike other distro forums I almost never see any developers here.  Likewise, there are no stickies for feature requests in future versions, etc.  Do the devs just use mailing lists for communication? (I've been on IRC a few times but haven't seen any there either..)  Do we, the users, have any mechanism (besides email) by which to voice our opinion on feature requests?  For instance, I'm wondering if beagle or howl will make it into 0.8 (and when that might be..)

Please don't take this post as criticism -- I know the devs aren't being paid for what they do and I'm not asking for them to do anything they don't want to.

#2 2005-05-12 17:31:36

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Re: Devs?

viniosity wrote:

Do we, the users, have any mechanism (besides email) by which to voice our opinion on feature requests?

http://bugs.archlinux.org (it's also a ladybug in a monitor in the upper right)

viniosity wrote:

For instance, I'm wondering if beagle or howl will make it into 0.8 (and when that might be..)

This doesn't make sense in the scope of arch:
a) the when/where/how of packages is now supported by the AUR ( http://aur.archlinux.org )
b) releases ( 0.8 ) don't matter in arch.  and, assuming the do matter, I seriously doubt that the 0.8 install cd is going to have beagle on it.

Arch is run by two teams: the developers, and the community.  In that manner it is close to debian.  The AUR, personal repos, forum help, even Archie all come from the community...

edit: and it just so happens that beagle  is community provided as well (thanks neotuli)

#3 2005-05-12 17:38:53

viniosity
Website

Thanks for the quick reply.  I will visit flyspray.  My only reason for asking about beagle specifically is that it works best with inotify support built in to the kernel.  While I can compile my own kernel it'd be nice if it were there to start with.

#4 2005-05-12 17:58:55

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

viniosity wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply.  I will visit flyspray.  My only reason for asking about beagle specifically is that it works best with inotify support built in to the kernel.  While I can compile my own kernel it'd be nice if it were there to start with.

enabling inotify in the stock kernel may not be worth it just yet - but alot of users are required to recompile their kernel for custom needs... i'd say submit a feature request for inotify in the bug tracker (do a search first and make sure there isn't already a request)

#5 2005-05-12 18:01:05

viniosity
Website

Ok - will do.  BTW- what's the proper etiquette in notifying a user that his/her repository may be down?  PM? Flyspray?

#6 2005-05-12 18:03:11

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

viniosity wrote:

Ok - will do.  BTW- what's the proper etiquette in notifying a user that his/her repository may be down?  PM? Flyspray?

flyspray won't notify the user themselves... it's for the devs - if it's a user repo, I'd say PM them

my repo has been down for about a week now, heh... i'll get it back up tonight I think...

#7 2005-05-13 01:40:32

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

neotuli's repo is down - he has moved his stuff to the AUR and is about to become a TU - you might like to hold on for him

Board footer