You are not logged in.

#1 2003-10-25 03:07:01

lilsirecho
Veteran

arch install fail kernel panic ..try passing "init&quot

big_smile New arch-0.5 install resulted in "mawk" dependency not available.  Re-install with auto-install and "base packages" using LILO resulted in kernel panic "try giving init. to kernel" roll

:cry: Please advise what procedure to follow to give "init." to kernel(kernel ID perhaps or a preamble needed to enter(what is entered)) roll

System is athlon 1900+ with 768MB ram A7V333 mobo running Slackware and Windows 98SE just fine, but no arch....

I am going to look for myself, if I should return before I get back, keep me here.

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#2 2003-10-25 03:32:31

red_over_blue

Re: arch install fail kernel panic ..try passing "init&quot

lilsirecho,

You stole my signature smile

Don't forget to post your PKGBUILD in your thread when you announce a new package in incoming.
see HERE for details

#3 2003-10-25 03:37:57

lilsirecho
Veteran

big_smile Guess I liked it..should I erase?

When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#4 2003-10-25 06:17:59

jlowell

lilsirecho,

Make sure that you've selected "done" all the way at the bottom of the menu when finishing up your partitioning. I failed to do that first time around and think I recall getting the mawk message to which you refer. I might be wrong with this analysis, but if I were you, I'd start over and be careful to not overlook that step. Let us know how things turn out.

jlowell

#5 2003-10-25 14:50:03

Jagged

did you edit your fstab correctly? the kernel does this when it can't  find /sbin/init

Nkawtg...n!

#6 2003-10-25 15:26:01

andy

About the mawk dependencies : I also recall something along partitions not being properly mounted during installation causing these kind of weird errors.

#7 2003-10-25 15:34:14

red_over_blue

lilsirecho wrote:

big_smile Guess I liked it..should I erase?

No, I was only goofing around.  I didn't come up with the saying, so I must have stole it from somewhere too smile

Don't forget to post your PKGBUILD in your thread when you announce a new package in incoming.
see HERE for details

#8 2003-10-25 15:56:41

lilsirecho
Veteran

big_smile Pleased to receive your replies....I am not sure at this time if I saw a done statement at the bottom of the screen..The last action I took when partitioning was to write  and then quit.
Perhaps you refer to quit.
    As stated, I re-ran using auto-load, partition auto loaded, entered base packages,ran Lilo but do not recall any fstab entries required during this procedure.  Kernel panic.

Plan to rerun again in auto-load base package and look for the "done" statement and see if fstab entries are required. big_smile

Researchers have found the shyness gene, hiding behind other genes.

#9 2003-10-25 17:08:46

lilsirecho
Veteran

big_smile   Was able to enter into arch using the vmlinuz entry at boot time.

Wish now to install the packages in the CD arch -05 and haven't a clue as to how to proceed.  Pacman uses internet access to FTP...don't have access.

How to utilize the CD? :?:  :?:  :?:  roll

#10 2003-10-25 18:00:00

jlowell

lilsirecho,

With what you say immediately above, I am now even more convinced that your problem is related to the oversight I referenced earlier.

One of the first steps you are asked to address by the installation CD is partitioning and, subsequently, file system creation and activization. This whole sequence is menu driven; at the end of the partitioning process at the very bottom of the partition list is the word, "DONE". "DONE" must be selected positively, precisely as you had earlier selected your partitions:

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=822&highlight=

As you can see from the above, you're not the first to encounter this difficulty but a reinstallation will be needed if you're to deal with it properly.

Keep us posted.

jlowell

#11 2003-10-25 18:12:14

lilsirecho
Veteran

big_smile Thanks for the reply...

The perplexing thing here is that I entered the auto-install sequence wherein the partitioning is beyond my control..its automatic.

Is there a done option during this procedure?  I missed it if there is.

I now get into the arch-05 kernel at root.  To further install programs from the CD is highly desired.

No procedural instructions are provided for install of non-base programs from the CD if the base system is installed and running as root.  No ftp access is possible without install of internet access via CD.

Am I wrong in this analysis?

The base system is recommended for for first install but how to go from there is not outlined. :?:  :?:  :?:  roll

#12 2003-10-25 18:53:43

jlowell

Ah, I understand.

So you never really did any manual partitioning! Interesting. I wonder now, of course, if it might help actually to do it manually, being careful to select "DONE" at the end.  smile

Since I have no experience with the automatic partitioning aspect of the Arch install, I'd be hard put to explain your problem in those terms. Frankly, I would doubt that the two are connected. But as I say, if you were to reinstall and manually do your partitioning - if you need help with this process, we can offer it - should the install be succesfully, that would be diagnostic I would suspect. Why not try it that way, you have nothing to lose.

With respect to your question about additional packages, I think you'll find the Arch documentation on the pacman package management system thoroughly exhaustive. It can be reached from the Arch home page.  After making a successful install, it's simply a question of first running

pacman -Syu

to refresh and to update the installed packages and, thereafter, adding further packages via

pacman -S packagename

It will be important also to make sure that /etc/pacman.conf is edited properly to insure access to the full range of available software. Keep trying, we'll get you up-and running.

jlowell

#13 2003-10-25 19:12:14

lilsirecho
Veteran

big_smile Thanks for your understanding.
     However, upon entering root and calling man-pacman, it followed that pacman is used only to contact ftp via internet and the system I now have in arch does not include internet access.
     I desire to load all packages on the CD without having to call each and every one per pacman Syu or pacman packagename.

Is this possible? If not, I can revert to manual install again in order to install all packages automatically through pacman at the risk of getting the dependency error again, which occured three times after re-install manually(deleting partition each time, write null partition, re-identify partition, write partition and quit}.
    During the arch install whether auto-install of base packages or attempt to install all packages I encountered no reference to internet access such that I could enter my tcp-ip and related data.
    I cannot use pacman without internet access.. :?:  :?:  :?:  roll

#14 2003-10-25 19:21:51

hApy
Website

look at this topic, it should answer your question. (always a good idea to search the board for answers because often somebody has asked the same question) smile

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … ht=gensync

Hapy.

#15 2003-10-25 19:34:54

lilsirecho
Veteran

big_smile Again thanks for the reply.

Examined the reference but find it not the same as what I desire since it ends up requiring the ID for each package to be added (pkgfile, not pkglist).

I have decided to re-try manual entry of arch-05 and look for the "done" statement.

#16 2003-10-25 19:52:07

jlowell

Frankly, lilsirecho, I'm not quite sure precisely what you're trying to achieve with the packages. I get the sense, however, that it's your plan to install everything available on the install CD. Such would not be my choice, but not wishing to engage in a kind of contestation over the relative merits of anyone's particular package preferences, by all means have it your way.  smile

I do think that you should start over from scratch, however. That way we can guide you should you encounter problems as things progress. I'll assume that you'll be manually partitioning. Good luck and keep us informed.

jlowell

#17 2003-10-25 20:43:30

lilsirecho
Veteran

big_smile Tkanks for reply.

I entered the manual partition scheme and partitioned three segments.  The "done" statement did not appear in the partitioning window as previously stated.  The only way out of partitioning is through "quit without writing partition" Then the option to select "done" occurs...very confusing to an installer.

The next encounter with "done" occurs when setting mount points.

I struggled through the procedure and declared "done". 

At the main menu select packages to install.. Selected all but gnome.

After the program completed selection, entered the install packages option.

The program then installed and checked conflicts and I went to watch the football game.   When I returned, black screen..hit space bar and received main menu.  Selected install kernel.
     Received error kernel not installed.

Re-tried kernel install three times...same result.

I have reached the end of the road.  No arch...

#18 2003-10-25 21:00:39

jlowell

lilsirecho,

Respecting the location of the "DONE" selection, I hope you'll forgive my  earlier imprecision. I'm working from memory here not from a running install CD. That notwithstanding, I think you've located "DONE" in right place and we can move on. 

Which of the four kernel installation choices are you selecting?

jlowell

#19 2003-10-26 01:27:00

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

There used to be mention of accessing the cd packages in /etc/pacman.conf, but it seems to have disappeared in newer versions.

I'll give you the low-down.

To use a custom db you need to edit /etc/pacman.conf and tell it where the db file is.  The problem is I can't remember where the package db is stored on the cd... let's say it's stored in /arch/packages/list.db and that you mount your cd drive to /mnt/cd (like it is by default).

Add

[cdrom]
Server = file:///mnt/cd/arch/packages/list.db

to /etc/pacman.conf and then you should be able to 'pacman -Sy' and then 'pacman -S <package>' any of the packages off the cd.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

Board footer