You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-08 10:38:04

JamieKitson
Website

MAKEDEV Not Found

Hi,

when I boot my computer, insert an SD card and try to mount it I get:

mount: special device /dev/sdb1 does not exist

sdb1 is only created when I try to mount sdb. Google results say that MAKEDEV should be used to create sdb/sdb1 and that I could put this in rc.local, however I cannot find MAKEDEV in Arch. I suppose the other option is to add mount /dev/sdb to rc.local but it doesn't seem ideal.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks, Jamie

#2 2011-01-08 11:00:55

3])

Re: MAKEDEV Not Found

Firstly, I recommend you ensure that it is sdb1 that is actually ''mounted'',
try the command "fdisk -l" in the terminal first, if no usable data is found, then
try installing parted/gparted to find out the partitions your computer has access to at the moment,

yet ensure the sd card is mounted beforehand.

Then proceed to mount using ''mount /dev/foo'', with foo being the correct directory.

About the makedev question, udev is the one that is recommended by the Archwiki:https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Udev#Auto_mounting_USB_devices.

Last edited by 3]) (2011-01-08 11:08:50)

“There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies. And the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies.”-- C.A.R. Hoare

#3 2011-01-08 11:54:29

JamieKitson
Website

It's definitely sdb, once it is created I can mount the SD card on sdb1.

I am not really interested in auto mounting, just manual mounting without fiddling about is what I'm after.

#4 2011-01-08 12:49:24

JamieKitson
Website

If I rmmod and then modpobe ehci_hcd then the list of /dev/sdb partitions is refreshed, so if I do this while the card is in I can mount sdb1.

Board footer